I cant find accounting Job After Graduating!!

I went for an admin job at an accountants two months ago, I have A levels but no degree.

Basically the director and partners liked me, thought I had potential and as such offered me an accounting position (which was also advertised at the same time, and everyone who applied for that had a degree) with the idea of doing on the job training, and getting qualified to a position where I can start doing my ACCA.

I've been in the same position twice before, and I know a fair few business owners, to be honest it's you who gets the job not your qualification, and from what i've been told and from what i've experienced a degree hasn't helped anyone if they haven't got the personality / real skills to go with it. In terms of accounting qualifications, I have asked literally everyone I know in the business and a degree is near on useless.

I'd suggest unless you're extremely lucky like me, start off in an assistants role, or something just using Sage and do some basic accounting qualifications which are relevent, even something like AAT's.

start off as a intern or an assistant... & don't think about the pay right now... once you get the experience you will get a good pay.

Unfortunately accountancy is one of those jobs, where for the majority of practices, they require staff with experience over qualifications.

As others have said the theory is a lot different to the practice of preparing accounts. Accounts studies tend to start off from a Trial Balance. In practice that is the end of the job as the computer does the rest.

If you don't have experience, I know from my point of view, I would rather employ the youngest person who applies for a job. Mainly because of the wage cost, but also so that the person can study (usually AAT) and learn the practical aspects of the job.

Unfortunately many graduates are now offering to work for free to gain experience. We once had someone who offered to work free for a year. I didn't take them up on the offer as it seemed like we would be taking advantage of them.

Do you have any friends in business where you could be their bookkeeper for a while and say prepare their draft accounts? This would give you some experience. Getting to know how to use Sage can be a benefit, and that could be your best way into a job. Get to know Sage, work as a bookkeeper for a while and see if that leads to anything better.

Good luck.

You need to apply for positions with chartered accountants but if there is nothing available why not look at similar jobs or rather jobs where you could use transferable skills. Auditing whether financial or for quality purposes uses some of the same skills that are involved when working as an accountant and their is more of that work available.