Burncross School..bit of a long shot but..

Gareth and Joann were both in my class too. I think that might have been Cheryl Axelby, she was older than me though. Do you remember Mrs Addy? I see her most weeks, I help run Chapeltown Playgroup and she usually comes with her grandson.

I recently did a placement at Lound Junior school, it was so weird sitting in the staff room with Mr Lee there, I felt like I was about 8 again!

Gareth and Joann were both in my class too. I think that might have been Cheryl Axelby, she was older than me though. Do you remember Mrs Addy? I see her most weeks, I help run Chapeltown Playgroup and she usually comes with her grandson.

I recently did a placement at Lound Junior school, it was so weird sitting in the staff room with Mr Lee there, I felt like I was about 8 again!

:hihi: Yes, I can imagine! He must be knocking on a bit now Mr Lee. Good to see that he's still teaching though.

Yes, I remember Mrs Addy, and Mrs Reid.

There were some brilliant teachers and staff at the school wasn't there?

My fav memory of Burncross School was at Christmas time. You knew when the tree was up in the assembly hall before you even saw it as you could smell the pine right through the halls of the main building, then the first sight of it was just magical! That's when you knew it was Christmas! And those backdrops they put out above the stage! When I first started it was a snowy scene with kids throwing snowballs and sledging, then they replaced it with a Santa & sleigh scene flying over the roof tops (which Andrew Sylvester's mum came into school to paint!) Oh, and the handmade cardboard postbox outside the dinner hall for you to put your Christmas Cards in! How wonderful - happy days! :)

This thread brings back some memories!!

I was there until it closed when i was in year 4, so about 1990-94, used to live on Livingstone Road

This thread brings back some memories!!

I was there until it closed when i was in year 4, so about 1990-94, used to live on Livingstone Road

Hi Frank!

So did you have to switch to a new school or did it close when you went up to comp?

yes had to move to windmill hill for last 2 years of primary school

There were some brilliant teachers and staff at the school wasn't there?

My fav memory of Burncross School was at Christmas time. You knew when the tree was up in the assembly hall before you even saw it as you could smell the pine right through the halls of the main building, then the first sight of it was just magical! That's when you knew it was Christmas! And those backdrops they put out above the stage! When I first started it was a snowy scene with kids throwing snowballs and sledging, then they replaced it with a Santa & sleigh scene flying over the roof tops (which Andrew Sylvester's mum came into school to paint!) Oh, and the handmade cardboard postbox outside the dinner hall for you to put your Christmas Cards in! How wonderful - happy days! :)

I know exactly what you mean! Everyone having Christmas dinner together in the hall as well! Those were the days eh?!

My brother went to Ecclesfield the year it closed and my cousin moved to Windmill, infact Frank1985, he was probably in the same year as you.

I can go back a long way as I left Burncross school in 1959 and was one of the lucky ones who went to Ecclesfield GS. I think the head was called Miss Spittlehouse and the only male teacher Mr Mycock ! He was a better pianist than football coach, although I still got my football colours at Ecclesfield. I have photo of us holding the Carolis [?] cup for winning at rounders. Who we beat to win it I can't recall. Several former Burncross pupils did very well at Ecclesfield and were far more academically capable than me. Are any of you still around ? Paul Iverson

I went there too, around 1965 to 1968.  Some memories:

Playground divided down the middle with a big gate.  Toilets at the top of the yard in the corner.

Nice field at the back with an air-raid shelter called The Point which we were told not to play on.  Some classrooms had a coal fire.  Mobile dentist caravan once per year.  Hole in the wall into infants playground.  School bell in a turret on the roof.  Sloping playground brilliant for slides in the snow.  Staff-room upstairs and going upstairs strictly forbidden.  Mrs Hulbert was crossing lady.

Miss Spittlehouse, Mr Kirbyshaw, Miss Cook, Mrs Taylor and Mr Womersley come to mind.  Then I was at Windmill Hill for one year before comp, Mr Womersley's class.

I went to burncross from about 45-46 up to going to high green , across the road was the gardens and pigstye one day one of the pigs got out and a young lad put his head though railings and got it stuck, the gravedigger came with bar and got him out, I think Mr Evans was the headmaster at the time I was there.