National carriers fire

wouls any1 out there remember the chemical blaze in the early 90s that was caused by national carriers around wincobank.

National carriers a huge warehouse..  yes I was there... as part of a fire crew from Mansfield road 'Manor top' fire station..  we spent quite a few days and nights there .

My dad was a driver for NCL (National Carriers Ltd) at the time, his beloved pushbike went up in flames.

The photo confirms my recollection that the smoke and debris blew over Wincobank, the Flower Estate, Hinde House and Concord.

Police and Council vans were going around telling people to stay indoors with windows shut

The following day the secondary school was shut and teams of people in protective clothing where picking up asbestos insulation around the cemetery, the school grounds, the sports centre and golf course. This area was the touchdown zone for the debris from the fire.

later in the afternoon the fire brigade had began to lay hoses across the tracks beyond Brightside station thinking the railway had been closed and it was not resulting  in a train slicing some up. The driver of the train initially stopped on seeing the obstruction but had the presence of mind to pull off toward Sheffield.

I was a driver there at that time, I had just got back from a trip and parked in warehouse to be loaded whilst I had my break in canteen. Someone came running in and said place was on fire, I dashed over to see my truck and all my gear being swept by flames. Sad day

I remember it very well as at that date I was at the end of a self build of our new home,it was only by a stroke of luck we didn,t put our furniture and personal belongings into storage there!.I was offered a cheaper rate elsewhere so I changed my mind,I observed the smoke cloud driving back north on the M1 to my work base,talk about a lucky break it was a really big blaze no mistake!.

On 24/08/2020 at 13:16, Steptoad said:

My dad was a driver for NCL (National Carriers Ltd) at the time, his beloved pushbike went up in flames.

Was your dad sandy?

On 09/09/2020 at 20:29, johnever said:

Was your dad sandy?

No, he was Birdseye.

On 12/09/2020 at 17:38, Steptoad said:

No, he was Birdseye.

I drove on the freight special with him. Des

20 hours ago, johnever said:

I drove on the freight special with him. Des

That's him 🙂
What name would he know you by?

Edited by Steptoad