Outdoor PE in cold weather

used to love PE, playing football/rounders/hockey/rugby/cricket with your mates, what else could you ask for?

As i said i was never stood still long enough to feel the cold.

Have any of you got children because you seem very hard hearted, admitting that PE was awful but wanting to subject others to the same misery.

Yes, I have. Thing is, it's always been the same, PE doesn't stop because it's cold. Your young one if anything, seems to be better prepared for it dress wise than we ever were. I remember it was blooming freezing some days but with corned beef legs, we carried on and no harm came to us.

Have any of you got children because you seem very hard hearted, admitting that PE was awful but wanting to subject others to the same misery.

When I was a child I did a lot of outdoor PE and I enjoyed it as did most of the other kids.

Were you five at the time?

i do have to agree with the OP here. when we did cold weather it was at secondary school so we were a lot older and tougher.

younger children you need to be more careful with. they dont always complain when something is wrong or they dont feel well. i'd imagine the school would allow them to wear warmer clothes for it though?

Well my little boy was crying because he didn't want to go out in the cold again after just arriving at school.But I expect that is because he is "soft".

the worst was when the ball it you when your freezing :o

Well my little boy was crying because he didn't want to go out in the cold again after just arriving at school.But I expect that is because he is "soft".

is that all the kids or just your little boy?

perhaps you should talk to the school about allowing him to wear a jumper, gloves and trackies if outside, or if you really feel strongly ask to release him from the class.

if one kid doesnt enjoy it, it doesnt mean the others dont.

btw, your kid is not 'soft' at most he is probably 'nesh'!

some people manage the cold better than others and some people prefer to be roasting hot all the time. its called being an individual, not soft!

Even the school admits there are times when it will be too cold.They just don't seem to have a cut off point in place.

There was a cut off point at my school - when the ground was frozen solid. Air temperature was never considered, as if you were working hard enough it wouldn't affect you. I still remember playing football during a hailstorm wearing only a pair of shorts and a thin t-shirt and not being cold, just very wet!

been five, dont most kids cry at most things they don't want to do? and then five minutes later have completely forgotten about it because they are having fun.

The advice seems to be ,if you are unhappy you can leave the school but where are you supposed to go?

Actually, most of you seem to think that outdoor PE for five year olds is fine so I find myself in the minority. I still think that it is cruel and I know that other parents are angry but too afraid to speak out.I have found some of your comments quite demoralising and hope that when you have children of your own you have a little more regard for their welfare.