Outdoor PE in cold weather

If the kids want to go out in the cold, let them. If they'd rather stay in and keep warm, as I would, let them. It's 2018, not 1962.

On 26 November 2010 at 11:56 AM, Stockers said:

If its a PE (physical education) the kids should be running round being active and warm enough.

That's a fair point!

If you are excercising, you should be warmer than if you were standing around smoking in the playground, even if wearing gym kit.

Couldn't they eat some of that stuff I saw on adverts as a kid? That seemed to warm them up. (red glow around them, can't rem the name of it)

🤣

3 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Ready Brek!

(finely shredded cardboard cooked in warm milk!)

yes, that's it. Considering my excellent memory, I must have archived this one as now recall I tried it once, and didn't like the consistency of it. I've not changed, and still don't like this kind of product, it's just sludge. I'd rather freeze than eat that.

reminds me of a Only fools, comment. 'that looks like something that's been swept out of a pigeon loft' , haha :)

Edited by *_ash_*

I can remember having school swimming lessons in an outside pool that the teacher, Mr Neave, had to break the ice from

before we could get in.  That was in Norfolk in around 1974. 

11 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

That's a fair point!

If you are excercising, you should be warmer than if you were standing around smoking in the playground, even if wearing gym kit.

very true, there is not enough physical education in schools now probably one reason why kids are so overweight? we used to do PE in all weathers and temperatures and did us no harm at all, although i understand most schools now dont have showers and changing facilities ?

I went to Bradfield School at Worrall - high up on Kirk Edge Road back in the 70's

We were out doing sport in all weathers on the field and when the weather was really cold we were sent out across the fields on a cross country run while the teacher kept warm inside.

I'm not saying that was right but I'm still alive to tell the tale.

On the subject of shower and changing facilities - if this is the case, how can schools insist on phys ed. if they don't provide these ?

2 hours ago, bendix said:

I can remember having school swimming lessons in an outside pool that the teacher, Mr Neave, had to break the ice from

before we could get in.  That was in Norfolk in around 1974. 

We were trawled off to Stocksbridge baths which were inside but don't think the water was much warmer !

Edited by Daven

14 hours ago, OneSon said:

If the kids want to go out in the cold, let them. If they'd rather stay in and keep warm, as I would, let them. It's 2018, not 1962.

Kids would generally not want to learn, not want to be at school, not want to do PE and not want to eat their vegetables.

As adults we require them to do certain things that they don't want to because we do actually know better.

3 hours ago, helloitsonly said:

very true, there is not enough physical education in schools now probably one reason why kids are so overweight? we used to do PE in all weathers and temperatures and did us no harm at all, although i understand most schools now dont have showers and changing facilities ?

From what I understand most schools are far better equipped these days than they used to be.

my 2p.

if you wanted to design a system, that led to kids (and then adults) hating exercise. you'd probably include school PE, outside, in winter, in the rain andor cold.

oh look, we've got a nation of unhealthy chubsters, overwhelming the NHS with their life-style induced ailments.

looks like it worked...

PE can and should be fun, if we want to teach kids/young adults that it's an important and easily integrated part of daily life.

(if we insist that PE means cold, wet, mud. then we shouldn't be surprised that more or less everyone stops doing any exercise the minute they leave school)

Edited by ads36

I have played hockey when the pitch was frozen solid and done cross country in pouring winter rain when I was at school. Unless the child has a health problem I see nothing wrong with it.

44 minutes ago, ads36 said:

my 2p.

if you wanted to design a system, that led to kids (and then adults) hating exercise. you'd probably include school PE, outside, in winter, in the rain andor cold.

oh look, we've got a nation of unhealthy chubsters, overwhelming the NHS with their life-style induced ailments.

looks like it worked...

PE can and should be fun, if we want to teach kids/young adults that it's an important and easily integrated part of daily life.

(if we insist that PE means cold, wet, mud. then we shouldn't be surprised that more or less everyone stops doing any exercise the minute they leave school)

You have a point...