Has anyone on here had a capsule endoscopy.

Have got to have one of these in December at the hallamshire and wondered if anyone else had had one and what it was like. I know you have to swallow a capsule that contains a camera, which then transmits images to a recording device. Just wondered if you stopped in hospital all day as it says you can or you can go away and come back again later on in the day and how long it took you to get your results.

Yes, i have.

It's a rare procedure as the capsule is high cost but I believe its still being pioneered in sheffield by dr mcalindon.

Its a million times better than an endoscopy or entroscopy of which i have had both more times than i care to remember.

The only issue arrives is if you need a biopsy. It's the least invasive procedure out of the available options so please go ahead with it as open minded as possible.

One word of advice, if you are not a usual subscriber to the bikini wax concept then I would fully consider minimising whatever hair you may have in the delicate areas of your body. While I hope this advice doesn't hit a delicate cord with you i would remind you that there is nothing worse than getting the bikini wax from matron as she removes the pads you have been wearing for 24hours! :)

Are the capsules recycled?

Just wondered what the pads were there for [catching the camera]?

The pads are to record what the capsule sees they are connected to a recording box, and I never saw the capsule *ahem* leave, so I doubt they are recycled!

Its a million times better than an endoscopy or entroscopy of which i have had both more times than i care to remember.

One word of advice, if you are not a usual subscriber to the bikini wax concept then I would fully consider minimising whatever hair you may have in the delicate areas of your body. While I hope this advice doesn't hit a delicate cord with you i would remind you that there is nothing worse than getting the bikini wax from matron as she removes the pads you have been wearing for 24hours! :)

I have had both endoscopies and colonoscopies before.

Regarding the pads and recording equipment, they have told me that the equipment will be recording for 8 hours not 24.

Are the capsules recycled?

Just wondered what the pads were there for [catching the camera]?

from what it says in the information leaflet the sticky pads are stuck to your abdomen in order to attach the recording device, so no you are not wearing the pads to catch the capsule.

Should have had it nearer the end of the month but it has been forwarded to tomorrow, due to how ill I have been recently which includes severe abdominal pains, severe indigestion, nausea, vomitting, diarrhoea, collapsing due to the pain and having rapid response paramedic out to me, ending up in a and e on a different occasion due to the pain and on another occasion as I was vomiting small amounts of blood and in severe pain.

Oh Debs I hope the capsule picks up the problem :( Having had both colonoscopy and endoscopy I wish the capsule had been an option for me :hihi:

thanks peaches, Ive had both the colonoscopy and endoscopy before, so I hope the capsule endoscopy finds out whats wrong.

How did you get on? I'm sure you found it all a lot more enjoyable!