Help needed ancesters holt

Hi Ralph good to hear from you. Ernest Fitton was an artist from Lancs. He was an RA and was a sufficiently famous relative for my dad to get his middle name from him. Well Ralph we must be cousins, but I wish I could remember more about my relatives. I obviously did not listen very well ! All my aunts and uncles were old when I was born. I never knew my (our) Grandad Ralph, born in 1864. He died in 1923.I never knew my (our) Grandma Helena either. She died in 1945 when I would have been 2. I don't know if we have ever met, but it is a distinct possibility. I was born in Petre St in Pitsmoor/Burngreave in the chip shop at 205. We moved to Broomhill around 1950.

I remember Uncle John and his fruit shop/stall in the old market. We often visited his house on Ellesmere Rd.

If my researches are right, your Mom's maiden name was Brown, and your siblings are Walter, Cyril and Jean. Will sign off for now. Please keep in touch.

thanks George, aunt Helena, and her husband Ely,?cant remember married name, had fish and chip shop Pitsmoor area, used to visit regulary, during the wartime,they had an arrangement with another nearby shop, and only opened luchtimes,to conserve fat allowances. this suited Helena very well as they had a good supply of customers from the local works. my mother was Edith but I am the only surviving son. Ralph .

Hi Ralph thanks for your speedy reply. Your Aunt Helena married Eli Skidmore. I think they had a chip shop in Ellesmere Road and they helped my Mom and Dad get started with their chip shop in Petre St. I am trying to research my family, but it can be quite frustrating. Part of the problem is that many sources of data are not available for searching on the internet. Most are in written form, or microfilm and you have to be there in Sheffield to see them. I found out just last week that my Mom's Dad is buried in Burngreave Cemetary because these records are now available for internet search. Mom's relatives have been hard to pin down. She was orphaned, losing both parents, around 1919 when she was 4. God life must have been tough for those poor orphaned kids.

Keep in touch

George Holt

thanks again George,its good to fill in a few more details, my e mail is rholt370@gmail.com if you wish to contact me about any way I can help. I cant understand how, as a family we seemed to have been so far apart, in spite of us all livng in or around Sheffield. anyway hope to her from you soon.

I have my Grandparents from Attercliffe - Jack Holt married Doris Hartley, all i can remeber about my Grandfather he always had a lip later causing him to be in a wheel chair. He also had 2 Sisters ( but theres more i his family ) called Hilda ( his spitting image ) and Aunty Doll who had a Daughter Called Nell.

Any connection ???

i have still not found a connection I will keep the names for future reference.rholt