Are students intending to occupy Nick Clegg's office (24/11/2010)?

As I understand it there were around 3,000 on the protest and the Hicks building has been occupied.

Well there's 6 students sat in a lecture theatre, not really having any effect on anyone.....I think describing that as an occupation is somewhat charitable.

Well there's 6 students sat in a lecture theatre, not really having any effect on anyone.....I think describing that as an occupation is somewhat charitable.

At least they might be able to get some work done.:thumbsup:

According to Radio Sheffield who interviewed Professor White from the Uni there were about 30-40 of them and the Uni have promised not to take any action against those involved as long as there is no damage done.

The Students are a bit radical though as the Professor has said that they have asked for...................

a hoover:surprised

It's actually £75 on £25,000.

"The government would continue to loan students the money for fees. The threshold at which graduates have to start paying their loans back would be raised from £15,000 to £21,000.

Graduates would pay back 9% of their income each month above that threshold."

Source BBC News Website

The affordability of this is of course debatable. However, the minimum payment on my credit card is small, but that doesn't mean I would be happy about having a £27,000 balance on it!

So in effect, its a graduate tax. Unless you earn a very high salary it will never be paid off by the sounds of it.

Why is it that every kid seems to think they automatically have a right to a university education?

Who do they think is going to pay for them all?

We don't need 50% of children with degrees, but no teacher or politician will have the guts to tell some parents that their darling offspring are too thick to go to university.

It's a fair bet that a significant proportion of the muppets on this march should not be anywhere a university unless they are there to clean the toilets.

if students want a university education they should be made to pay for it they have already had free education from the age of five or have they all forgot that it seems to me that if they want the top jobs they should pay for the education why should the tax payer pay for them we have enough to pay for ie damage they cause on there demonstration STOP WHINGING PAY UP OR GET A REAL JOB

A number of students occupied the Vice Chancellor's office in Firth Court Sheffield uni today - apparently they burst through the front doors, ran up the stairs chanting their protests, got lost and ran down stairs again! :|

There was also some sort of activity going on at Firth Court involving children from a primary school. Imagined what could have happened if things got violent?? The sight of these "educated" students rampaging around like a herd of elephants can only be a source of embarassment and do much damage to the reputation of the University and the city :(

Sheffield City Centre roads all open and flowing normally. Inspector Jayne Johnson.

flowing normally? you mean backed up with mass ques of cars going nowhere because of tram and bus gates....... as always?

Why don't they grow up and stop this Nick Clegg witch hunt.

They'll get no sympathy from the public while they are smashing things up and it's usually the one's that are from the City that do this.

I bit like when they go abroad " it doesn't matter because I don't live here . "

I asked because I heard on the radio that they were discussing it earlier this week. There's a bit in the Star about it.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/headlines/Students-threaten-Clegg-home-sitin.6628902.jp

Its ridiculous to compare the student protest to the work of the suffragettes.Absolutely no comparison whatsoever.

I think the violent protests does nothing to help the causes of the students.Peaceful protests are one thing( though I dont believe that will make a difference anyway) but criminal damage and violence is completely unacceptable and I cant believe that the leaders of The NUS are encouraging it.

What kind of message is this to give to the young children who 'look up to their student brothers and sisters' that violence gets results??

Maybe Nick Clegg and some of his colleagues should protest outside the student union offices and demand to know why the students did not vote for them. If the had the Lib Dems may have been able to implement their fees policy.

Maybe Nick Clegg and some of his colleagues should protest outside the student union offices and demand to know why the students did not vote for them. If the had the Lib Dems may have been able to implement their fees policy.

Good point. Think he has other pressing matters at the moment though.:(