Anybody ever been referred to the breast clinic at RHH?

I'm fine! Just a lumpy person it would seem!

That's me and you both then! I was there today. Running late but once you're in it's speedy.

Lovely staff as ever.

Thank you!! Yes erring on the side of caution is definitely the way to go! Congratulation S8 Blade, I'm so glad it was good news for you too! I was lucky, I had a really early appointment and was in and out before I should even have been seen. They only did an ultrasound (which hurt like hell as I was so sore, but worth it obviously!) before telling me I was clearly just a lumpy lady but to go back if anything changed again. I'm going out tonight to eat lots of Italian food and drink lots of red wine to celebrate!

Thank you!! Yes erring on the side of caution is definitely the way to go! Congratulation S8 Blade, I'm so glad it was good news for you too! I was lucky, I had a really early appointment and was in and out before I should even have been seen. They only did an ultrasound (which hurt like hell as I was so sore, but worth it obviously!) before telling me I was clearly just a lumpy lady but to go back if anything changed again. I'm going out tonight to eat lots of Italian food and drink lots of red wine to celebrate!

I had an ultrasound too, just like before. They're amazing but yes, I found mine to be uncomfortable as I was sore anyway. The images are so clear it's unbelievable. As soon as she showed me the image and explained what everything was I could understand why I feel uncomfortable and sore.

The department was so busy you can understand why I had to wait, but once you're in there you have their full attention and I'd rather be late for my appointment than be rushed.

They're quite used to people who are a bit sore. They're also very accommodating when they have someone like along who is having (yet more) mammograms taken despite having breast and torso lymphoedema, so they very graciously allowed me to swear loudly all of the way through to help me not have to kill them for shutting my boobs between glass plates :)

At only 42 I've already had 4 sets of mammograms, 3 ultrasounds, 3 biopsies and breast surgery :( I'm envious of everyone who's just naturally lumpy :)

Hi there, hope someone might be able to help. I saw my GP on Tuesday (2 days ago) and he said he would send my referral to the breast clinic at the Hallamshire the next day as it was the evening. I was wondering if anyone else who has been to the clinic could give me an idea of when they got their appointment through and how long they were waiting? I am planning to go away for a few days either next week or the week after so it would be great to get an idea so I can start to make some plans! Thanks :) x

Hi there, hope someone might be able to help. I saw my GP on Tuesday (2 days ago) and he said he would send my referral to the breast clinic at the Hallamshire the next day as it was the evening. I was wondering if anyone else who has been to the clinic could give me an idea of when they got their appointment through and how long they were waiting? I am planning to go away for a few days either next week or the week after so it would be great to get an idea so I can start to make some plans! Thanks :) x

Their not usually long,i was only a matter of days.If you haven't heard for Monday give breast clinic a ring.

Hi thanks for replying, yes I was thinking of ringing them if I haven't heard anything soon, didn't want to pester them though lol! X

I would say that it's very likely that you'll be seen either next Thursday or the Thursday after, unless there is a particular reason why you need to be seen as an emergency.

Ah I see, is it usually Thursdays that most people are seen then? I don't think mine would be classed as an emergency, thanks :) x

I was referred very recently my appointment was 10 days after seeing my doctor. I was told I would hear from the clinic within 2 weeks. All the best fabgirl.

I believe that it's usually Thursdays when they do the 'no specific reason to think it may be an emergency' appointments. How they described it to me was that they did all of the tests, x-rays and biopsies on one Thursday, then sent everything off to be seen by radiologists, pathologists and the like, then had a multi-disciplinary meeting on the following Wednesday to decide the course of action for any that needed follow up, then saw everybody with the results the next day, starting the whole Thursday cycle all over again with new patients too.

When you do get called, please bear in mind that you're likely to be in the hospital for the whole morning, as you'll be examined, have a consultation, a mammogram and possibly an ultrasound and biopsies all done on the same morning in the same unit. Take a book, a drink and something warm to wrap around your shoulders if you're a nesh sort (or you're feeling vulnerable about sitting in the waiting room in a gown without a bra on).

The service sees thousands of women a year and manages to be efficient whilst also reassuring the vast majority of the women through their care that they have nothing at all to worry about, and identifies those who they do need to see again promptly.

Isn't the NHS wonderful? :)

hi I am a bloke but my wife found a lump in the breast about 6 weeks ago. like you she went to her GP, who referred her to hospital like you 2 weeks later she got an appointment for the following day she went and was crapping herself for the whole 2 weeks. she had the mamagram and she got the results straight away fortunately the lump and turned out to be several hidden deap in breast tissue and the out come was ok they were small oil filled systs and would drain away in a couple of weeks so be brave I know it's a trying time for you and your family and 97% are nothing but can see why you are worried hopefully you will be like my wife so good look let us all know on fotrum how you go on steve xxx