Anybody ever been referred to the breast clinic at RHH?

Hi, I recentely found a lump in my breast went to my dr and he has referred me to the breast clinic, my appointment is 2 week from the time of my referral (next Tuesday) and I was wondering if anyone has been referred in the past and what happenes once your there, I'm quite anxious and obviously very worried so any shared experiances would be great x

Yes, it's a very well organised and prompt service. You check in with the clinic receptionist and are then called in for an examination and consultation with one of the doctors. You take your top half clothes off and put on a gown, which you keep on for the rest of your time in the clinic (which in my case was 3 hours, including quite a number of tests).

After your examination and consultation you then go out of the department, up one floor and into the breast screening area, where there is another reception and waiting area. You're called in first for mammogram (assuming you're old enough for one to be useful) then back out into the waiting room before being called for an ultrasound.

When both of these have been done the ultrasound doctor decides whether you need any sampling of the lump (which is done by either needle aspiration or needle biopsy) and performs them there and then.

Once they are done you wait in the upper waiting area until your tests are ready to go back downstairs, where you return to the same nurses who you saw earlier and then go and see the doctor again.

If you've had tests like biopsies done then you go back the following week for the results of those.

The area is calm, well managed and although there's an element of being on a conveyor belt about it (by necessity) everybody treats you with dignity and respect and an awful lot of testing and checking is done in a very short space of time.

I hope that your lump is nothing sinister (well over 90% of breast lumps are nothing to be worried about).

Hi there,

Try not to worry Medusa has explained everything spot on.

Both myself and my sister got referrals to the breast clinic for lumps on the same day at different GP's and were seen within two weeks of each other at the clinic. The nurses are lovely & very understanding as they know that patients are worried and frightened. ALL the staff are just lovely, please try not to worry and good luck, we were both given the all clear the lumps were nothing to worry about that day which was so much better than having to wait and worry.

Edited by HelenaC
edit text

My mum recently went, great team of staff there very professional, she had a series of tests all on the same day, but got recalled for further tests, although she had to wait a week for the results, she wasn't worried.

I went about 2 months ago and it's exactly as Medusa says. The consultant asked which breast the lump was in, I said left and she found it in less than a second! She then drew a circle around it and off I went for the tests.

Very efficient and after the mamogram and ultrasound, the consultant (back downstairs) took a sample by needle aspiration.

When the result came back, the consultant said she wasn't 100% happy with it and asked if she could do another which, of course, I said yes.

She contacted me again to say this one was perfect, the mammogram was normal as was the ultrasound.

Funny thing is the lump is still there but I trust that it is just what she termed 'normal' breast tissue.

Good luck, you're bound to be a bit anxious about it but it's not half as bad as I expected. :)

My mum went a few week ago after finding a lump, she was called in within 2 weeks for her appointment was given a biopsy and asked to come back the follwoing week. She was nervous as to why they couldn't just ring her with the results. However, when she got their everything was fine it was nothing to worry about. ¬So

Yes, although I found it rather traumatic despite having the all-clear. Take something good to read, and a big cardi - those gowns that they give you, I found to be a bit inadequate as you are waiting in a public waiting room. It is all quite quick but you do feel as if you are in the bus station in your nighty!

i have been as well and found it very professional. they tell you that by the end of the appoiontment they will let you know if it is anything to worry about. they do all the tests on the day so you dont need to keep going back.

Bit of a wait when you get there but once I was in they did everything - scans and biopsy really quickly!

Thankyou everyone, I'm feeling less nervous about it now I know what to expect :-)

I went a few months ago - quite long delays on my initial consultation , waiting for an ultrasound and at the follow up. Receptionists were rude - but aren't most medical receptionists. Dr's fantastic , information given great. Hope you get well soon , try not to worry

I went to the breast clinic last year. I just had the mammogram as they didn't think a biopsy was necessary. Would agree that a cardigan is needed to go over you gown, especially in this weather! And take extra time before your appointment if you are going by car as finding a space isn't always easy. It's a fantastic service as everything is sorted out at the same visit, so hope you go on ok.