Shiregreen regeneration

I totally agree Gina I used to private rent and the house was done up immaculately. The few problems we had got fixed straight away and when waiting for my deposit back they noticed a small scratch on a kitchen worktop and charged for it. You're not paying rent for a house that's falling to bits, if you are private renting you wouldn't so why would you with a council house. Sorry Summa but our housing association has payed these cowboys to do a proper job, they can't really get away with doing half a job. How would you feel if a contractor did half the job when modernising your house? you'd be on her ranting and raving too

When we moved into our first house, we did the work ourselves, out of our own pocket. I just think that these housing associations are doing the tenats huge favour, this is a relatively new scheme, doing the kitchens, bathrooms, even gardens!! Think of how much money they are saving the tenants, and to rant about little bits that have gone wrong is petty, in the grand sceme of thing a sticky front door is nothing.

As for not plastering the house, come on, surly these are things people should do themselves!

The cowboy builders will have to work to buliding regulations set by trading standards and other groups, so if you have a problem you should take it up with them.

Edited by summa

The problem with a lot of this work is you get electricians coming out to fit your doors when they are plainly not fully capable.

They have actually plastered my front room (to a point!) its now falling down after less than 2 years. As for a sticky front door - its my back door and its not sticky (!) dont try to dumb down the problems summa, because theyre issues that need sorting. My door, doesnt shut unless its locked. You have to push the handle down slam the door into place and rag the handle up and lock it otherwise it pushes itself open - its a PROBLEM that needs fixing but they wont do it becuase the cowboys keep coming out saying its fine. They havent done gardens either, theyve put driveways on some properties and half done fences. I was told as were many others the whole houses would be replastered but some rooms are just lining paper and they havent bothered to take the radiators off the wall before lining the wall :o Even I can take a rad off with ease and empty it to decorate and put it back on the wall and refill! Im not saying people round where you live havent had problems but im saying, the workmen around here are being paid by SANCTUARY the workmen where you are are being paid by Parkway is it? They might be getting different rates of pay so the jobs might be better done where you live. They certainly arent here. Nor, is it free (but you'll come along and insist it is right?)

Oh and might I add, my driveway isnt wide enough for a van only a car at a push. And after they had done this driveway, industrial sand was left at the back of it and I got infested with flying ants over the summer on my front. Oh and while we're on the driveway subject, they went through the drainage - I have poo floating around the front of my house on a regular basis - and its not even my own dumps its my neighbours :gag: Guess what though, the workmen cant smell it :suspect: Riiiiight.... this is the work ive had done 'for free' !!!!

Right drainage, if it's raw sewage phone enviromental health.

Work rates have nothing to do with it, all buliding work is regulated by bulding regulations, so regardless of pay they ALL work to the same spec.

Why is internal decorating work an issue,have it plastered yourself and if you can take the radiator off why don't you just do it?

As for free, when we had a council house, we paid rent, we had to sort the house and the garden out ourselves, plastering, new kitchens, no one helped us out, yet we still paid the rent, so yes this work that is being carried out is free to the tenant, because Gina if they hadn't done the work, you would still be paying the same rent.

No, I wouldnt be paying the rate actually, my rent up by so many £'s after my fence and driveway was done :) Then went up again on the new tax year (april that is, btw.) The drainage should NEVER have been touched. It shouldve been buried underneath the ground by a few foot. Still though - dont you think sanctuary/fhm should be doing something about it? Ive had EH out and various companys whove all said yep they hit the S**tpipe!

Do they really work to the same spec? REALLY? Think about. If youre getting paid £10 an hour (example, dont shoot me down in flames because it'll be more/less or whatever as youre obviously so much better than me and are still arguing against a brick wall... dont headbutt it!) and youre told by your supervisor, plaster that bedroom, you have one day (7 hours, say? £70.) the same day, a different bloke (on a different estate) is told £8 per hour, go plaster that bedroom (7 hours, say? £56) youre telling me they'll be the same quality? :hihi: Get a grip honey, of course its not going to be the same standard. It will be p-ss poor standard, because its crap rates of pay. I should know my step dad has been working around here tarmaccing.... he said its crap pay but its a job for now, and he said no way will he work his guts out doing 12 - 14 hour days when the money is as bad as it is. Money talks, it speaks bloody volumes!

No chance gina, if enviromental health have been out and said it is raw sewage that is 'floating around your front, it would have been sorted asap, no doubt about it, it's a health issue.

Gina what don't you get lv? Working to building regulation means, if it is passed by a clark of works then it must be up to the right standards, and if you don't think it is or was get intouch with the building standards agency and have them quality check it.

Can't believe you are actually boasting that your step dad not working hard because his pays crap, maybe he should count his lucky stars that he managed to get a job, when at the min they are few and far between.

Rent goes up with inflation, everything does, get over it.

Oh as for the arguing with a brick wall compliment, I just think it's a bit mardy to be moaning about little flaws in a huge job, that would have cost you thousends if you had paid for it yourself.

Oh Summa go headbutt that brickwall. Passed the regs or not - its not decent work. The plaster is falling off the wall, why should I sort something when it was 'done' by these cowboys, then I decorated! So now ive got to pay out for replastering AND decorate again. It dont work like that. A private landlord wouldnt expect you to start plastering his/her home up.

Do you not think ive had people out who say its fixed and a few weeks later its a mess again? Do you think I leave it just festering away on my front? Nooooooo!

Of course things go up with inflation, but im saying that my rent up after the house was done, then went up again in the tax year... rarely the rent goes up during the year unless its April time - tax year ending/starting.

I wasnt boasting he didnt do the work properly im saying... he is going to work 5-6 hours days rather than 12-14 hour days isnt he because the moneys still the same (basic wage at that). Count his lucky stars he has a job? Hes self employed and people are forever asking him and his boys to go do work as his rep is a good one. His business had a slow patch so he did some bits for tarmac. What im saying is, it happens. My dad, stepdad, brother in law (2 of), my partner and my aunt are all in the building trades and I see first hand what goes off. Building regs this that and the other have no bearing on what these 'workmen' do... End of. Agree to disagree this time, youre making yourself look a right t**t.

I know when the tax year is gina, oh self employed in the building trade so I do know what i'm talking about.

The drainage. you said workmen came out and couldn't smell it, make you mind up, cause now EH have been out and it get fixed and then it's a mess again.

Your step dad, why doesn't he go and do the other jobs then?

Why would you be stupid enough to think that standard buliding reg, especially on this scale have no bearing on what your workmen do???? Do they comply to some other standards agency, some other health and saftey spec what no-one else has heard of?

Come off it Gina, I'm not the one on here crying about work that has gone a bit wrong, when having any building work done things tend to go wrong on a day to day basis.

So if anyone one looks a t**t it's you mate, name calling, telling me to headbutt a wall, because, by the way, poeple are full are tricks like that arn't they! and contradicting yourself.

As I said, if you have real concerns about your home, get building standards agency out, now that isn't too difficult is it, or maybe 1 phone call is not enough hassle for you.

Edited by summa