Smokers Need Not Apply

Seems that the Massachusetts Hospital Association has become the first private employer in Mass. to stipulate that only non-smokers will be considered for employment.

I have mixed feelings about this. I know a lot of fine employees that are loyal, dependable and honest that are smokers who are worth 10 of some non smoking employees. At the same time, I can see where a hospital association would want to set an example that smoking isn't healthy.

What are your thoughts? Is it discrimination? Is it acceptable? Has this happened over in the UK?

http://www.wbur.org/2010/11/02/employer-smoking

Edited by CottonTop
forgot to add the link

Is it discrimination?

Yes.

Is it acceptable?

No.

We've done it with pubs, but like most smokers over here who blame the closures because of it, at least you'll be able to use the same excuse when you're hospitals start getting boarded up.:hihi::hihi:

Hitler would be proud.

Thats got to be a Godwin record.

Discrimination?

Smoking is a lifestyle choice.

I have always been of the opinion that I don't care what my employees get up to in their own time as long as it isn't illegal and doesn't in any way show the company in a bad light. So if someone want to smoke themselves to death or drink themselves to death, they are welcome to do it as long as it doesn't affect their work.

I have always been of the opinion that I don't care what my employees get up to in their own time as long as it isn't illegal and doesn't in any way show the company in a bad light.

Perhaps the hospital considers that employing people who deliberately endanger their own health, does indeed show it (the hospital) in a bad light.

I have to say it does make me laugh when I see nurses and doctors stood outside their offices having a smoke break. I think to myself, these people really should know better. But, if those people smoke on their own time, away from work, unless they've got their work ID on, the general population doesn't know they work for a hospital. I wouldn't have a problem with any company saying you can't smoke on work premises. In fact, I used to work for a company like that. The home office was in Iowa (Field of Dreams was filmed there) and if you wanted to smoke, you had to get in your car and drive down the road to do it.

I have always been of the opinion that I don't care what my employees get up to in their own time as long as it isn't illegal and doesn't in any way show the company in a bad light. So if someone want to smoke themselves to death or drink themselves to death, they are welcome to do it as long as it doesn't affect their work.

I agree, but what about when they bring their vices to work with them? I've worked with some people who've stunk of booze and fags (as well as some more dubious smells).

Guest sibon
I agree, but what about when they bring their vices to work with them? I've worked with some people who've stunk of booze and fags (as well as some more dubious smells).

That is completely different though. Surely an employer has the right to insist upon good personal hygiene in the workplace. I'm not so sure that they should be able to restrict an employee's legal activities outside work.

This appears to be hardly a new thing. The article states:

Police and fire departments across the state stopped hiring smokers in 1997

So why the moaning now, some 13 years on?