Wordsworth Tavern

I was sad to learn of the death of Brian Wheatcroft on 7th Dec, who used to be landlord at the Tavern in the 70,s. I,d seen him only very recently at Netto,s in Hillsboro and he looked so well. So I was shocked to hear the news.

Neilf -thanks for that. Sarginson does ring a bell now you mention it. Re eightlegger - bill Sievewright senior was my godfather. He used to be caretaker at St Thomas Mores in his later years. He would have been 100 this year if my maths correct. I know Bill junior used to visit his parents regularly. His sister became housekeeper for one of the priests. Not sure where she is now. Also not sure if Mrs Sievewright still alive. John Stubbs still lives on Wordsworth (opposite Chaucer school). My brother Tony knew Francis Moss and I used to go to school with Josephine Mcgoff. tony used to go to St Pats but we all went to St Thomas Mores when it opened in 1954 on Creswick Lane. Like you my mother used to walk the full length of Deerlands pushing a pram fetching my sister and brothers from school before the No1 was introduced.

does anyone remember agnes wragg who worked in both the old and new taverns?? her sister also worked there,she was married to george derwent,her name escapes me,but george derwent worked in the cross hotel for many years.

mrs coddington,s name was nellie,not may,her husband was called harold.

Both my dad & uncle went in the Tavern from early 70s to the mid 80s.

Joe and Jim Wright.

My nan before that Bea Wright with her mate Aida Hadfield both from Holgate rd.

ada hadfield......one of the old guard of home helps,along with joyce green and margaret unwin.

Hi,read this and had to reply.

Brian and Doreen Wheatcroft are my grandad and nan,Mark Wheatcroft is my dad.

My Grandad did sadly pass away in 2010.My nan still lives in Worrall and my dad and the majority of siblings all live in Hillsborough,the exception Being Sam/Ian who has businesses abroad and splits his time there&here.

My mums family the Brown's Les&Audrey, Beth,,Pat,Lesley,Ann,Maureen,Lynn,Jayne and Jimmy were also a big part of Parson Cross for many years living at 488 Wordsworth Avenue all their Childhoods and me my sister and mum eventually lived there for 10years up until 1994 when we moved to Deerlands for 5years then all went our seperate ways and moved out of Sheffield all together.

Parson Cross was the best place to grow up in the 80's/90's there's nowhere like it nowadays!!;(

I still visit sometimes to see my mother in law who lives on Lindsay Avenue but have to admit I dread it.....they totally killed the area moving new families in and tearing everything down makes me sad that they've ruined a place where I had such fantastic memories with some great people!!

Hi,read this and had to reply.

Brian and Doreen Wheatcroft are my grandad and nan,Mark Wheatcroft is my dad.

My Grandad did sadly pass away in 2010.My nan still lives in Worrall and my dad and the majority of siblings all live in Hillsborough,the exception Being Sam/Ian who has businesses abroad and splits his time there&here.

My mums family the Brown's Les&Audrey, Beth,,Pat,Lesley,Ann,Maureen,Lynn,Jayne and Jimmy were also a big part of Parson Cross for many years living at 488 Wordsworth Avenue all their Childhoods and me my sister and mum eventually lived there for 10years up until 1994 when we moved to Deerlands for 5years then all went our seperate ways and moved out of Sheffield all together.

Parson Cross was the best place to grow up in the 80's/90's there's nowhere like it nowadays!!;(

I still visit sometimes to see my mother in law who lives on Lindsay Avenue but have to admit I dread it.....they totally killed the area moving new families in and tearing everything down makes me sad that they've ruined a place where I had such fantastic memories with some great people!!

Here here well said.... i too was brought up on the Cross , and seeing it now saddens me.:mad:

Used Tavern in 80s play cards with a family called Browns 7 brothers of rokeby road

I know this is an old thread and i don't know if Pete Bush is still on here but,if he is,do you remember working with me Pete (Ted) about 1968/69 for the co-op milk?remember you turning the milk float over at the top of Doe Royd Cres.hahaha

I think a different May who worked in the new tavern. Although she was small also. They lived on the other side of Wordsworth near the bus stop (about 432 I think). You must have lived near the Goodwins? I wonder if eightlegger new her? I believe the old tavern was built after the war and was meant to be only temporary.

Sounds like Agnes Wragg.

Am I right in thinking there was a temporary (pretty fabricated) building from the early 50s until the new one was built in 68?

think that was the colley club your thinking about.

Am I right in thinking there was a temporary (pretty fabricated) building from the early 50s until the new one was built in 68?

There certainly was. It was to the right of the current building , on the the spare ground where sometimes a horse is tied up. My parents and grandparents used to frequent it, a rum little place on all accounts!

On 26/11/2010 at 18:21, eightlegger said:

Hi,PETER, sorry i don't know any of the names you mention,however i knew the SIEVEWRIGHTS very well,ANN,JOSEPHINE and WILLIAM,named after his dad, who incidently went to school with my dad at ST.CHARLES.As kids we all played together,ANDREW HALL(went into the navy),ANNE PLATTS,MAUREEN& MAURICE GREEN,NAYLORS, who lived right across the street from us in the houses that were raised higher up.The SIEVEWRIGHT girls,my brother and i used to walk to school and back every day.I've just remember'd the GOFF'S AND THEIR RELATIVES next door by the name of MOSS.JOSEPHINE married one of the GREENWOOD boys who lived on HOLGATE RD(32)i think.they later lived in the FRECHVILLE area.I have tried numerous times to find the SIEVWRIGHTS, but to no avail.The STUBBS lived next door to the SIEVEWRIGHTS at the corner house,254 i think.I'm so glad i found this forum as i've found so much information and been in touch with friends from years ago,its unbelievable.If anyone know's any of the SIEVWRIGHTS,please let me know.I will be eternally grateful.eightlegger.

I am a Sievewright, born in Sheffield in 61, dad was Peter Sievewright, granddad was Albert, we were all in Firth Park in the early sixties