Wordsworth Tavern

I used to work in the new wordsworth tavern shortly after it opened in 1968. I only went in the old tavern a couple of times before it was knocked down. I wonder if people have any memories of the old pre-fabricated building and its clientel. I remember Cocky who I think was a coalman. Charlie was the first landlord in the new tavern. He still lives on Chaucer. I recently bumped into Brian Wheatcroft who was also landlord for many years.

I remember when the Wheatcrofts had the pub, not seen them in years, last one I saw was Mark, about 8 years back, but not seen Mick, Sam, Julie, Gail, Sam, etc., for donkeys years.

Grappler - I didnt get chance to ask Brian about the kids. Sam was a bit of a character. Brian is 77 now (I think he said) and lives at Worrall.He looks well. I know one of daughters lived on Fielding Rd but not sure if she is still there.

I think a different May who worked in the new tavern. Although she was small also. They lived on the other side of Wordsworth near the bus stop (about 432 I think). You must have lived near the Goodwins? I wonder if eightlegger new her? I believe the old tavern was built after the war and was meant to be only temporary.

Next door but one from Goodwins.

The original Tavern was built around early 50s

To PETER BUSH & SWEETDEXTER, sorry i can't recall anyone by the name of MAY.We lived at 434 WORDSWORTH AVE.432, were WARBOURTONS 430,were MORTONS,428,WILDGOOSES.Where did GOODWINS live?The old TAVERN was built at the end of the 40's,between TURIE AVE at wordsworth,almost into ECCLESFIELD, was one huge construction zone almost,with no street lighting,except at each end.My brother and i walked it many,many times as we had friends,close to ecclesfield.Also at that time we had to walk to school,(st pats-sheffield lane top)because there was no number'1 bus or any other running along DEERLANDS AVE.so we got our exercise.Never gave it a second thought did we? uphill both ways!! oh!sorry thats another story.All the best, eightlegger.

The old Tavern was on the land just behind the new one at the top of Colley Rd. I think it was the community centre at the end of Turie. I cant remember May,s surname but they lived where the bus stop is/was. The Goodwins were on the other side further up near to the Mills, Hunts, Kirbys and Neaths. I believe Stan and Trev still there. I remember the name Wildgoose.Can you remember the Sievewrights and Stubbs?

Grappler - I didnt get chance to ask Brian about the kids. Sam was a bit of a character. Brian is 77 now (I think he said) and lives at Worrall.He looks well. I know one of daughters lived on Fielding Rd but not sure if she is still there.

Yes he was indeed!

The old Tavern was on the land just behind the new one at the top of Colley Rd. I think it was the community centre at the end of Turie. I cant remember May,s surname but they lived where the bus stop is/was. The Goodwins were on the other side further up near to the Mills, Hunts, Kirbys and Neaths. I believe Stan and Trev still there. I remember the name Wildgoose.Can you remember the Sievewrights and Stubbs?

Hi,PETER, sorry i don't know any of the names you mention,however i knew the SIEVEWRIGHTS very well,ANN,JOSEPHINE and WILLIAM,named after his dad, who incidently went to school with my dad at ST.CHARLES.As kids we all played together,ANDREW HALL(went into the navy),ANNE PLATTS,MAUREEN& MAURICE GREEN,NAYLORS, who lived right across the street from us in the houses that were raised higher up.The SIEVEWRIGHT girls,my brother and i used to walk to school and back every day.I've just remember'd the GOFF'S AND THEIR RELATIVES next door by the name of MOSS.JOSEPHINE married one of the GREENWOOD boys who lived on HOLGATE RD(32)i think.they later lived in the FRECHVILLE area.I have tried numerous times to find the SIEVWRIGHTS, but to no avail.The STUBBS lived next door to the SIEVEWRIGHTS at the corner house,254 i think.I'm so glad i found this forum as i've found so much information and been in touch with friends from years ago,its unbelievable.If anyone know's any of the SIEVWRIGHTS,please let me know.I will be eternally grateful.eightlegger.

May did live near the bus stop on Wordsworth across from the junction to Margetson Library. Her surname was Coddington.

Made a mistake in the last post May's name was Sarginson she was related to the Coddingtons.

My grandparents used to live on Turie Crescent, Harry and Winnie Wood with their sons John and Geoff. I have happy memories of them going for a pint or two on a Saturday night whilst I stayed in with my nan. Geoff was born in 1948 and John in 44, so they would probably have frequented about 1962 ish and my grandad was still going before he died in 1981. Anyone remember them.

Neilf -thanks for that. Sarginson does ring a bell now you mention it. Re eightlegger - bill Sievewright senior was my godfather. He used to be caretaker at St Thomas Mores in his later years. He would have been 100 this year if my maths correct. I know Bill junior used to visit his parents regularly. His sister became housekeeper for one of the priests. Not sure where she is now. Also not sure if Mrs Sievewright still alive. John Stubbs still lives on Wordsworth (opposite Chaucer school). My brother Tony knew Francis Moss and I used to go to school with Josephine Mcgoff. tony used to go to St Pats but we all went to St Thomas Mores when it opened in 1954 on Creswick Lane. Like you my mother used to walk the full length of Deerlands pushing a pram fetching my sister and brothers from school before the No1 was introduced.

May did live near the bus stop on Wordsworth across from the junction to Margetson Library. Her surname was Coddington.

was she related to Tony Coddington?