Wordsworth Tavern

I used to work in the new wordsworth tavern shortly after it opened in 1968. I only went in the old tavern a couple of times before it was knocked down. I wonder if people have any memories of the old pre-fabricated building and its clientel. I remember Cocky who I think was a coalman. Charlie was the first landlord in the new tavern. He still lives on Chaucer. I recently bumped into Brian Wheatcroft who was also landlord for many years.

i remember it but it was nearly all old people not realy a place for young there was allways a lot in as it was a long walk to the next pub

I used to work in the new wordsworth tavern shortly after it opened in 1968. I only went in the old tavern a couple of times before it was knocked down. I wonder if people have any memories of the old pre-fabricated building and its clientel. I remember Cocky who I think was a coalman. Charlie was the first landlord in the new tavern. He still lives on Chaucer. I recently bumped into Brian Wheatcroft who was also landlord for many years.

Hi PETER, we were living on WORDSW0RTH AVE.(434),when they built the first tavern.I wasn't old enough to drink,but my dad used to go in there.A few years later i was in there with my own local pub landlord from INTAKE,and met an old friend from a few doors down from 434.His name is MAURICE GREEN,had a sister, MAUREEN. Some of you may remember them.I was wondering if BRIAN WHEATCROFT was related to a PEARL WHEATCROFT, who was a neighbour of ours later, when we had moved to 18,HOLGATE RD.

bye for now, eightlegger.

My dad was a regular of the tavern from the early days until his death in the early 70s. I remember as a kid I used to walk up there and he would buy me a shandy and a pie then send me home with a Mars bar.

Both my dad & uncle went in the Tavern from early 70s to the mid 80s.

Joe and Jim Wright.

My nan before that Bea Wright with her mate Aida Hadfield both from Holgate rd.

My Dad, Eric, was the regular pianist there during the fifties or early sixties.

We used to sit on the bank opposite the off sales and listen to the piano and sing songs.Always a good atmosphere on Saturday nights. I remember May used to be the glass washer. Bill and Arthur behind the bar.

Peter Bush...now thats a name from the past,I used to catch a bus into Sheffield about 40 years ago and sometimes we would sit together....now there's a puzzle for you.

We used to sit on the bank opposite the off sales and listen to the piano and sing songs.Always a good atmosphere on Saturday nights. I remember May used to be the glass washer. Bill and Arthur behind the bar.

May was my mother.

died in 02 at 88

Twinky1 you have got me puzzled. I was about 20 then. You must tell me more. Re sweetdexter May had a daughter- was she called Janice? I know May was brought up in Beverley and had the distinction of seeing Paul McCartney in his early Wings days in the fish and chip shop on Penistone Rd on his way to a gig at Leeds University in 1971. She was a great character and could puff a faglike no-one else. I was sorry to learn she had died. I know Bill died only recently. He was well into his 90,s.

Twinky1 you have got me puzzled. I was about 20 then. You must tell me more. Re sweetdexter May had a daughter- was she called Janice? I know May was brought up in Beverley and had the distinction of seeing Paul McCartney in his early Wings days in the fish and chip shop on Penistone Rd on his way to a gig at Leeds University in 1971. She was a great character and could puff a faglike no-one else. I was sorry to learn she had died. I know Bill died only recently. He was well into his 90,s.

Obviously your May and my mother are two different people.She was an habitual smoker but there the similarities end.

My mother worked at the old Tavern for years she was about 4' 11" and weighed next to nothing.

We lived about 15 houses down from you until about 1960 when we moved to Rokeby Drive

I think a different May who worked in the new tavern. Although she was small also. They lived on the other side of Wordsworth near the bus stop (about 432 I think). You must have lived near the Goodwins? I wonder if eightlegger new her? I believe the old tavern was built after the war and was meant to be only temporary.