Sweets of the old days

I live on city road with granellis at the bottom on the roundabout to ponds forge my grandad used to go on about whenever ANY type of sweet was mentioned still never been in although it would have been his birthday next week so might just venture in pick up a few of the old ones he went on about in memory!

am i right in saying they had something to do with ice cream aswell?

Yes, they were a major supplier of ice cream when I was growing up (50s & 60s)

Really enjoyed reading through this thread, judging from this alot of people are still interested in eating sweets they can remember from their childhood. If you see the thread started by me in the business section I was querying whether it would be beneficial to set up a retro sweet shop...originally in Dinnington, Sheffield but will probably be further afield and looking at this thread I'm guessing their could be a market for it. Would anyone have any suggestions as to where a good location would be???

Any info is greatly appreciated.

does anyone remember the pink bubble gum from tuck shop it had a footballers pictures

inside and you got the book and put them in their teams, if you got same picture

u`d swop one with a friend, i think they cost a penny.

------------------------------

i liked the old sixpence the tanner we called it-

and the half penny or ha`peni as we called it. good old days

Edited by brian1941
spelling

Murray Mints - "the too good to hurry mints." Last time I was in Sheffield I couldn't find them in any of the shops although I had no trouble buying them in Scotland. Also, a specialty store near where I live in Canada sells them. So, why no Murray Mints in Sheffield? Or, are they there and hidden from view somewhere?

Heron had them in around Christmas i bought Gromit some for work they were that popular she went out for half an hour and they dissapeared.

Sweet tobacco.

Sweet cigarettes.

Liquorice pipes.

Wonder we didn't all die from passive sweet spice eating.

Who remembers that wierdest of wierd ......... liquorice root?

Halls chemist on Darnall used to sell liquoice root when i was young :)

check out sweet traditions on the lanes meadowhall

was i a cannibal? jelly babies used to love biting their heads off (lol):hihi:

Spangels.....................

Do you remember the Spangles that had the question marks ? on them - you had to guess what flavour they were

Halls chemist on Darnall used to sell liquoice root when i was young :)

We still sell liquorice root in the chemist shop where I work - i've lost count of the number of people who have commented that its years since they last saw it. We also sell little tins of Nippits