Sweets of the old days

does anyone remember the orange sweet fishes of the 1950's..they were made of boiled sugar in a fish mould and were orange in colour looked just like a goldfish. They were about one and a half inches long and i think sold for about a halfp4enny each....its strange what comes into your mind when you are doing the ironing!!!!

-----------------

i remember them fish sweets and your decrepition is spot on,

i kept gold fishes then and i use to put one in its bowl

for company, ( all them bubbles ) HIHIHI

can you remember them coloured gob stoppers, they use to change

till it got right small, happy time.

Edited by brian1941
SPELLING

Does anyone remember the orange sweet fishes of the 1950's..they were made of boiled sugar in a fish mould and were orange in colour looked just like a goldfish. They were about one and a half inches long and i think sold for about a halfp4enny each....its strange what comes into your mind when you are doing the ironing!!!!

-----------------

I REMEMBER THEM FISH SWEETS AND YOUR DECREPITION IS SPOT ON,

I KEPT GOLD FISHES THEN AND I USE TO PUT ONE IN ITS BOWL

FOR COMPANY, ( ALL THEM BUBBLES ) HIHIHI:hihi:

CAN YOU REMEMBER THEM COLOURED GOB STOPPERS, THEY USE TO CHANGE

TILL IT GOT RIGHT SMALL, HAPPY TIME.

the house is still there, but it's not been a sweet factory in 20 or 30 years.

-----------

that building i think council took that over and was refurbished

and is an office, it ues to make rock,

I'm not sure if this place has already been mentioned but, in the heritage center at elsecar is a sweet/spice shop that sells a lot of the old sweets/spice that have been mentioned in this and other similar threads. They sell stuff in 2oz or by the quarter, from big jars on the shelf then served in little white bags. lovely smell in the shop as well.

Klie prob not the right spelling fizzy powder u sucked up a straw NO not cocaine u bunch of dummies I think the straw was made of licorice

Sherbet Fountain.

Anybody remember Holland Toffee? In the shops they'd have it in flat tins about a foot square and the shopkeeper was provided with a little hammer for breaking it up. I suppose 'Elf and Safety' wouldn't let you use the hammer nowadays without safety goggles and a gloves just in case a bit flew up and lodged somewhere nasty.

Stop it now! they're called SPICE from a SPICE shop.

Sweets my arse!

On my street it was 20% Spice 80% Sweets (sorry:hihi:)

Murray Mints - "the too good to hurry mints." Last time I was in Sheffield I couldn't find them in any of the shops although I had no trouble buying them in Scotland. Also, a specialty store near where I live in Canada sells them. So, why no Murray Mints in Sheffield? Or, are they there and hidden from view somewhere?

I live on city road with granellis at the bottom on the roundabout to ponds forge my grandad used to go on about whenever ANY type of sweet was mentioned still never been in although it would have been his birthday next week so might just venture in pick up a few of the old ones he went on about in memory!

am i right in saying they had something to do with ice cream aswell?

oh and p.s it was "spice" t me grandad unall

yes i remember taxan and also a choc bar full of coconut and cherries called cabana anybody else