Sweets of the old days

I've asked on here before but does anyone remember chocolate covered liqourice allsorts ? They were lovely, but it's years and years since I saw any, surely someone must have seen them before ?

When sweets were still on ration my dad would save our points and go once a week to the boiled sweet stall in the old outdoor Sheffield market, you got a big bag of pear drops, fishes, aniseed rock etc.

Sweet tobacco.

Sweet cigarettes.

Liquorice pipes.

Wonder we didn't all die from passive sweet spice eating.

Who remembers that wierdest of wierd ......... liquorice root?

Klie prob not the right spelling fizzy powder u sucked up a straw NO not cocaine u bunch of dummies I think the straw was made of licorice

Now this is a true story, Fullwood school 1942 i remember one kid rolling up little balls of horse poop u know the good stuff solid straw and sold 1p a doz, Its a good thing hes got a short memory but i remember eating one before he let me in on the secret ,didn't taste to bad at that

'Does anyone remember the little sweet shop opposite norfolk flats just down the hill from Park Hill flats ? you could watch them make delicious cough candy in the 70's. dont suppose its still there.'

It was ru by a chap called Mr Simpson

He was a very nice man used to let us watch him make the sweets.

Sweet tobacco.

Sweet cigarettes.

Liquorice pipes.

Wonder we didn't all die from passive sweet spice eating.

Who remembers that weirdest of weird ......... liquorice root?

Hi saxon51

8 yrs ago i managed to stop smoking with the help of liquorice root (i called it STICK ) i used to get it from the herbalist shops Union st or the indoor market stall opposite Harringtons i cut it into fag like sizes and went all day treating it like a fag only problem i became addicted to liquorice amazing the amount of people who used to ask me what it was and where they could get it.

I can remember sweet tobaco that came in look a like pouches,just like the roll your own stuff! And the packets of chocolate cigs too,Not so long back I saw them still on sale on a sweet stall in the market, Grannellis?

Does anyone remember Gold rush bubble gum,in the little draw string bag? Oh that was lovely!

'Does anyone remember the little sweet shop opposite norfolk flats just down the hill from Park Hill flats ? you could watch them make delicious cough candy in the 70's. don't suppose its still there.'

It was ruby a chap called Mr Simpson

I used it once a week on Fridays in the late 70s early 80s always got a large bag of aniseed cough spice and a large bag of broken boiled spice MR S as i called him used to stretch the soft doe out along long wooden benches and hand roll the doe through what i can only describe as a large MANGLE which he changed heads to achieve different shapes Fishes, round etc my memory is not as good as it once was was the name of the road Sutherland st which ran up from the junction of Granville rd up to Duke st and the little shop was on the left hand side going up the hill i seem to think it was set on fire at some stage but i seen to remember seeing it rebuilt at some time later another memory of MR S was the spice was always weighed on old weighing scales with weights on one side :hihi: .