Sweets of the old days

the best. (original cough candy)

can still buy it cost just over £1 per old 1/4.

I was watching(and doing the ironing) a catherine cookson film "the wingless bird" when I saw them making the orange fishes

I was watching the League Of Gentlemen film and they were making brown fishes .....................

Does anyone remember the little sweet shop opposite norfolk flats just down the hill from Park Hill flats ? you could watch them make delicious cough candy in the 70's. dont suppose its still there.

Does anyone remember the little sweet shop opposite norfolk flats just down the hill from Park Hill flats ? you could watch them make delicious cough candy in the 70's. dont suppose its still there.

the house is still there, but it's not been a sweet factory in 20 or 30 years.

Texan....... A mans gotta chew... What a mans gotta chew Does anyone remember them?

OOh and mint cracknel....

My Mom used to take a 2lb bag of sugar to a place on Attercliffe Common and it would be swopped for a bag of spice.

I think the factory was called Dixons and they were desparate for sugar during the war.

The bag was of mixed boiled sweets, broken fishes, marrymequick etc.

hazel

i used to like and still do the coconut shavings covered in sugar pink and white. after years of going without my daughter found me some in Devon earlier this year. fantastic.

also I had a friend from manchester who used to call sweets,spice etc "toffees" as I didn't like toffees i always refused until one day she brought out the "toffees" before asking me. it was a selection of the most gorgeous sweets, not a toffee in sight.

My Mom used to take a 2lb bag of sugar to a place on Attercliffe Common and it would be swopped for a bag of spice.

I think the factory was called Dixons and they were desparate for sugar during the war.

The bag was of mixed boiled sweets, broken fishes, marrymequick etc.

hazel

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

'Does anyone remember the little sweet shop opposite norfolk flats just down the hill from Park Hill flats ? you could watch them make delicious cough candy in the 70's. dont suppose its still there.'

It was ru by a chap called Mr Simpson

Spangels.....................

Spangles used to come in so many different flavours, blackcurrant, mint, some that tasted like toffee, licorice and then there was mixed fruit. Funny I can't remember all others but I know the mint ones were white and pink