BBC Panorama 22/11/10 - Muslims kids getting hate lessons in UK

Of course it's disgusting and reprehensible, these part time schools 1.)should definitely fall under the supervision of OFSTED and be made to stop these lessons or be threatened with closure.

2.)This is part of the problem that exists where religious schools of whatever persuasion are permitted, or a blind eye turned to the indoctrinating children....

1.) Why? other part time schools are not subject to OFSTED censorship.

2.) Ban religious schools? all religious schools or just some?

All schools indoctrinate all the kids they 'teach'.

Why do the coalition of the bemused and the befuddled insist on the one hand that religious and ethnic differences must be accomodated and all comers must be welcomed only to find themselves caught in the middle of inevitable conflict and having to qualify everything.

You are free to say what you like providing that we agree !

You are free to practice your religion providing that we agree !

You may teach your children about their ethnic, national, religious,historic and cultural heritage providing that we don't object !

..you love your conspiracy theories dont you? What do you think is 'afoot'? A group of Ninja clad 6 year olds running amok with scimitars chopping off the limbs of thieves caught with contraband from Poundland?

I'd give you more credit if you didn't constantly try and reduce other peoples' views to absurdity. The point I was making was that this type of thing has probably been going on for years, so why is it big news all of a sudden, perhaps someone out there is trying to influence public opinion?

Ps: it does rather amuse me though that the activities of Stormfront-the White Nationalist Community, the National Front or Combat18 are never highlighted here or deemed to be as big a threat as the activities of Muslim extremists. In fact I don't recall ever seeing a thread here denouncing them.

Right wing thugs are always keeping tabs on, but I don't recall hearing of any stories where they have set up shop in an islamic country for generations and tried systematically to break down the country's fabric. You can't say that against muslim extremists who target countries throughout the world, not just Western targets.

I'd give you more credit if you didn't constantly try and reduce other peoples' views to absurdity.
Im not really interested in your credit mecky, any more than you are in mine. You reduce your own contributions on Muslims and immigration to absurdity with their unwaveringly negative nature, when you post something balanced about these issues I might be more balanced in my response to them.

The point I was making was that this type of thing has probably been going on for years, so why is it big news all of a sudden, perhaps someone out there is trying to influence public opinion?
Let's not speculate eh? We're talking about a TV programme that no one here has seen yet.

Within the context of discussion of religious schools (where it should be) this is something that is discussed regularly, when evidence exists that this allegation concerns all the weekend Muslim schools and not just 40 of them (40 too many by the way), then we can draw more sinister conclusions about the behaviour of Muslims.

Why do the coalition of the bemused and the befuddled insist on the one hand that religious and ethnic differences must be accomodated and all comers must be welcomed only to find themselves caught in the middle of inevitable conflict and having to qualify everything.

You may teach your children about their ethnic, national, religious,historic and cultural heritage providing that we don't object !

how about applying the law equally to all.?

Right wing thugs are always keeping tabs on, but I don't recall hearing of any stories where they have set up shop in an islamic country for generations and tried systematically to break down the country's fabric. You can't say that against muslim extremists who target countries throughout the world, not just Western targets.

I thought we were talking about Britain? Im not really bothered about other countries, although history shows Europeans are quite adept at setting up shop in foreign countries and systematically breaking down that country's fabric-South Africa, Australia and America being just three cases in point.

The right wing groups I mentioned behave anti socially right here, right now and there activities pass largely without mention, whether they're kept tabs on or not.

You could just as easily claim Christian Sunday schools use racist texts that call for horrendous punishments for unbelievers too. The bible is riddled with such stuff.

I think you are trivialising a very serious matter with comparisons that are extremely vague and tenuous at best. Please provide us with some examples of Christian Sunday Schools asking their pupils to 'list the reprehensible qualities of Jews', teaching not only that homosexuality is wrong but that gays should be executed, and teaching not only about what capital punishment may have been meated out during Biblical times but also advocating it in today's world as well as teaching the mechanics of how such capital punishments should be administered.

The pigs and monkeys references are isolated examples of racial language used in the koran. In its context, a context of many more passages talking about commonality of belief the passages whilst problematic are no more problematic than much of what you will find in the bible.

The context is, that it is what is being taught. Whether those passages take on a different meaning in another context is irrelevant if that is not the context being used.

They should be, any place of learning where adults come into contact with children should be properly regulated. What's up BP are you going soft on Muslims? ;)

I never suggested they should be banned.

It's usually indoctrination in provable facts and certainly not acts that could be classed as illegal

Why do the bemused and befuddled get confused with the freedoms of individuals to do what they want and the requirements of appropriate behaviour within the law where it affects others.

Yep, that's about the top and bottom of it :thumbsup:

im guessing they who teach and manage these schools have a different take on multiculturalism.

I think you are trivialising a very serious matter with comparisons that are extremely vague and tenuous at best. Please provide us with some examples of Christian Sunday Schools asking their pupils to 'list the reprehensible qualities of Jews', teaching not only that homosexuality is wrong but that gays should be executed, and teaching not only about what capital punishment may have been meated out during Biblical times but also advocating it in today's world as well as teaching the mechanics of how such capital punishments should be administered.

The context is, that it is what is being taught. Whether those passages take on a different meaning in another context is irrelevant if that is not the context being used.

I note from your link:

But Neal Robinson, an expert in the Koran, said the context in which the materials are presented comes with risks.

"To present it cold, as it seems to be here, just part of the teaching of Islam, no it's not wise. In the wrong hands I think it is... ammunition for anti-Semitism."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11799713

So the texts aren't clearly advocating current practices at all, the commentators complaint is that the materials could be used out of context. You are assuming a context that is not there in the story.

I note from your link:

So the texts aren't clearly advocating current practices at all, the commentators complaint is that the materials could be used out of context. You are assuming a context that is not there in the story.

So what the expert is saying, is that the content of the text books is taken out of context from the Koran. Whilst that may be true, I fail to see what you're point is, since it is the text books being used to teach the kids.

I note from your link:

do you agree with the teachings within these schools?