School sent my daughter home early - without informing me

On Friday my 10 year old daughter stays at school one hour later for extra help with her education, however this past Friday the teacher suddenly decided she wanted another child to stay instead. My daughter was then sent home from school and no-one bothered to tell me. My mom will normally pick up my daughter from school but on a Friday she goes to my aunts first then goes to pick my daughter up. Luckily my mom was on the bus going past my house & saw my daughter walking along the road, otherwise my daughter would have gone home to a locked up house & since she has no friends living near by would have been stood outside our home for over a hour. When I got home at 9pm i found a message on my answermachine informing me to pick her up earlier, and to ring school to let them know I had received the message. My point is - since the school had to leave a message, wouldnt it have been obvious that no-one was at home? they know i work & they also have my mobile number so upon not getting an answer at home wouldnt it have been better to contact me on my mobile, and they shouldnt have let her come home without an aknowledging phone call.

It was just by pure luck that my moms bus was running late or she would never have seen her, this could have had tragic consequences, my mom turning up at school at 4 only to be told my daughter had left at 3. Ensuring my mother would then panic & try to rush home, which since she suffers from angina, this could have triggered an angina or worse, heart attack. My daughter would have then been sat outside my house, alone in the dark, cold & terrified until I returned home at 9pm.

I also mention that I live in S5 so not a very safe place for a young girl to be alone at night at the moment.

I will be visiting school in the morning with my complaint, but I wonder if anyone has any advice on who I could take my complaint to if the school decide to close ranks & defend the guilty parties?

On Friday my 10 year old daughter stays at school one hour later for extra help with her education, however this past Friday the teacher suddenly decided she wanted another child to stay instead. My daughter was then sent home from school and no-one bothered to tell me. My mom will normally pick up my daughter from school but on a Friday she goes to my aunts first then goes to pick my daughter up. Luckily my mom was on the bus going past my house & saw my daughter walking along the road, otherwise my daughter would have gone home to a locked up house & since she has no friends living near by would have been stood outside our home for over a hour. When I got home at 9pm i found a message on my answermachine informing me to pick her up earlier, and to ring school to let them know I had received the message. My point is - since the school had to leave a message, wouldnt it have been obvious that no-one was at home? they know i work & they also have my mobile number so upon not getting an answer at home wouldnt it have been better to contact me on my mobile, and they shouldnt have let her come home without an aknowledging phone call.

It was just by pure luck that my moms bus was running late or she would never have seen her, this could have had tragic consequences, my mom turning up at school at 4 only to be told my daughter had left at 3. Ensuring my mother would then panic & try to rush home, which since she suffers from angina, this could have triggered an angina or worse, heart attack. My daughter would have then been sat outside my house, alone in the dark, cold & terrified until I returned home at 9pm.

I also mention that I live in S5 so not a very safe place for a young girl to be alone at night at the moment.

I will be visiting school in the morning with my complaint, but I wonder if anyone has any advice on who I could take my complaint to if the school decide to close ranks & defend the guilty parties?

Get a grip. Sure they could have phoned your mobile, bare in mind the call charges though.

This does not appear to be acceptable. I think the head teacher needs to know about this really. I'd probably, take a deep breath (;)), then phone and ask to speak to the headteacher, and ask him/her to investigate what happened and then to speak to you later that day.

I'm guessing that your main motivation for calling, besides the fact that you're not happy with what happened, is to make sure that policy is reviewed and strictly adhered to, so that there is no chance of this happening again, either to your daughter, or anyone else.

Get a grip. Sure they could have phoned your mobile, bare in mind the call charges though.

You get a grip.

Call charges? Are you serious? So it's best to avoid what, like 30p max when a 10 year old girl is going to be sent home than informing the parents, it's a young girl! They shouldn't have let her leave school until they had been in contact with parents, that's rules and it wouldn't have hurt to keep her in school until they could contact them, since the child is schools responsibility and in their care until that time.

:loopy: :loopy:

what a stupid comment to say!!!this is a 10 year old that has been sent home with the parents not knowing!!! s5 is not a place for any young person to be walking around at the minute.

id be having words with the school.:rant:

That's a horrible comment. Why should the Parent get a grip. All parents in the same situation would be angry too especially with all the events happening in the area lately. I would certainly go to the head regarding this

I don't understand why they didn't call you on your mobile. My school when it has a message for me phones me on both home line and mobile line. They always do that. I would definitely contact school and make sure they don't do such a thing again. They are also supposed to not change anything with less than 24 hours notice.

I don't get why they didn't ring your mobile or work place? But I have to admit if this is not a formal childcare arrangment, then maybe more guidlines should be made so both you and the school are aware of whats happening, and if changes occur you are given more of a warning.

Call charges

Vs

Childs saftey.

=

no contest.

The school was out of order and should be held to account.

Im sorry but what planet are u on?, so you saying the cost of a mobile phone call is more important then sending a 10 year old girl home early without notifying her parents, especially when there is a sex attacker on the lose in that area, you saying the cost of a mobile phone call is more important then a childs safety?

The school are quite happy to phone my mobile on any other occassion.

But lets say the cost of a phone call is more important then a childs safety - then why couldnt they think well we havent been able to contact anyone on the one time we have called, lets call later but meanwhile keep the child in school until contact has been made?

Summa, you mention if this was not a formal childcare arrangement. Well as far as I understand when the teacher in question informed me the previous week that my daughter would be continuing her 1 to 1 lessons with her on a Friday for the next 10 weeks, I would think that was a formal arrangement. So as far as I was aware, the school was responsible for my daughters welfare until 4pm on Fridays.

I would like to thank everyone for your comments, its good to know that unlike the school you agree this was a serious mistake to make (I went to the school today to ask them to explain what had happened, only to be told, well dont know why ur so upset, no harm was done, unfortunately at that point my normal calm facade vanished & I erupted).