A gentle reminder

I once decided to walk to castelton from hunters bar..never told my parents..was getting fed up just past hathersage and being a child of the sixties i believed the british bobby was the best person to lend a hand. knocked on a police station door (near Hope)..british bobby sent me on my way with a telling off and walked all the way home..wasn't too bad as i had the foresight to make some jam butties.

We do know how to use the search facility....

What exactly to type into the search facility on this subject is an entirely different kettle of fish. :D

I was merely pointing out that along with all the other things people of a certain age managed to do we could also do a little basic research.

And for those who can't, try putting this into Google: "lived in houses made of asbestos" site:sheffieldforum.co.uk

End of the lesson. ;)

Whilst standing at a bus stop, on his way to a Life Boys meeting one freezing evening in the early 60's, this 12 year old was offered a lift by a stranger in a green van. I accepted, and when we arrived at my destination I offered him my 2d bus fare. "Nay lad. Keep it an' get thissen some spice. I'll see thi same time next week." So, I got a free lift to Life Boys every week and 2d worth of sweets thanks to a total stranger. Never even got his name.

My parents wouldn't have even flinched about me getting the lift from this bloke, but they'd have gone ballistic about me trousering the bus fare.

Although it is uncomfortable to remember that Hindley and Brady offered kids lifts in the 60's.

Spot on,

No cotton wool, we walked to school no School run, we respected our elders and the local Copper.

School holidays we were out in the woods we would leave home with a jam sandwitch and some juice. We would play in the streams and try and build dams, swing from trees etc and then come home scruffy.

Sadly that dont happen today, young Tarquin and Annabella come home as clean as they went out (if they are allowed out at all)

We should let children be children and play and learn

Although it is uncomfortable to remember that Hindley and Brady offered kids lifts in the 60's.
You mean like Huntley was working at a school in the 90's.

You mean like Huntley was working at a school in the 90's.

I'm sorry, I don't understand your point?

Spot on,

No cotton wool, we walked to school no School run, we respected our elders and the local Copper.

School holidays we were out in the woods we would leave home with a jam sandwitch and some juice. We would play in the streams and try and build dams, swing from trees etc and then come home scruffy.

Sadly that dont happen today, young Tarquin and Annabella come home as clean as they went out (if they are allowed out at all)

We should let children be children and play and learn

I blame parents. Kids get spoiled, took everywhere by car, protected un-necessarily.

I remember it well, growing up in the 50's and 60's. My Mum used to say we were born with "fag ash" up our nostrils. We used to go out all day by the loch, where I lived in Scotland, Mum never worried where we were. We used to walk a good mile to school, and home at dinner time, and back again.

Good days.

I'm sorry, I don't understand your point?

I think the point is...danger can be anywhere...:)

So we wrap children up in cotton wool and do not let them learn, you can teach children to be aware, but to stop them finding out for themselves is far more dangeorus

In that case it is exactly the same point that I was making! The childhood described in the OP is just like my childhood,but we do tend to view the past through rose tinted glasses.Danger was still there.Teachers and others with access to children who beat and "interfered" with them.I'm sure that looking back,many people of my age can see that there may have been an ulterior motive to that caning,or the guy at the baths who had to check the boys(and only the boys!) for varoucas (?) and signaling them clear by patting them on the arse. Or the old guy down in the Roughs who wanted to show the kids his baby rabbits.Sure,most came through it unscathed,but it doesn't mean the danger wasn't there. I don't think things were so much different then than they are now. We just take more notice of saturation news coverage now.

Grew up in a house with second hand smoke. Bacon and eggs for breakfast three times a week. There was no TV in the early years and we played for hours out in the streets with Sheffield muck floating around in the air.

Still as healthy as a horse and fit as a fiddle but I reckon it has a lot to do with inheriting good genes

Edited by Harleyman