Buses in Sheffield.

Too expensive, for two people it works out cheaper to use the car to commute to work.

i agree I always car share its so much better than paying the overpriced bus fares!

If you want to read about people moaning about buses.just do a search.You will have more than you can possibly read pop up.One thing this forum isn't short of is bus rants.

I dunno, there's something about the smell of bus engines outside that I like.

I remember the smell that used to come from the front wheels when I was a kid (early 70s). Seemed to be a warm, oil tinged smell, very noticeable in winter.

Maybe my sense of smell has gone to pot since then but the main smell of buses these days seems to be a slightly plasticity smell from the interiors of the newer ones.

(Some of the passengers are a bit rank mind.)

Getting back to the OP, if you don't like big buses, TM Travel have some nice Optare minibuses. I was on one tonight.

As for useless, well what do you want them to do, sing songs, do magic tricks, make a cup of tea?

As for useless, well what do you want them to do, sing songs, do magic tricks, make a cup of tea?

Since First rarely seem to run on time (often not at all) I would mind the company doing a few magic tricks of their own. Like disappearing completely from Sheffield's roads. And some First drivers are quite stupid. Like the 95 refusing to stop at Sheffield Interchange because I didn't press the bell. I thought one only had to press the bell at alight at request stops - Sheffield Interchange is supposed to be a scheduled stop (where buses HAVE to stop) is it not? I then got some rubbish about it not being a terminus I recall reading the destination blind as displaying Sheffield Interchange when I boarded. Perhaps I misread the destination and it really was "Scotch Mist" or "Cloud Cuckoo Land".

Edited by CheekyBandit

in spite of they usually do not arrive at time, but one can not deny the fact that they are very useful to a very large number of people.

And some First drivers are quite stupid. Like the 95 refusing to stop at Sheffield Interchange because I didn't press the bell. I thought one only had to press the bell at alight at request stops

No, why should the driver stop if no one has pressed the bell? If you want to get off, you ring the bell or tell the driver. If no-one puts their hand out, the bus doesn't stop. Bus drivers are not psychic. It is you who is stupid my friend.

No, why should the driver stop if no one has pressed the bell?

At scheduled or main stops (which I believe Sheffield Interchange to be) they are EXPECTED to stop, regardless of how many want to board or alight.

If you want to get off, you ring the bell or tell the driver. If no-one puts their hand out, the bus doesn't stop.

This applies to request stops. Most stops in Sheffield might be but Sheffield Interchange?

Bus drivers are not psychic.

But I would expect them to know the difference between request stops and ones where they should stop at automatically. Especially those of a displayed destination. I have also had drivers on the same route try and discourage me from travelling further than Sheffield Interchange (e.g. from near the Peace Gardens to Walkley) as they have told me that the interchange was the terminus.

Edited by CheekyBandit

Please note compulsary stops disapeared from sheffield around 1988 !

Bus people still claim they exist , infact they actually were something that were a hangover from tramway days due to board of trade stops before a steep hill.

Please note compulsary stops disapeared from sheffield around 1988 !

So you expect a bus displaying "Sheffield Interchange" to only stop there on request?

So you expect a bus displaying "Sheffield Interchange" to only stop there on request?

No a terminating bus should stop there to let passangers off.

No a terminating bus should stop there to let passangers off.

A bus displaying "Sheffield Interchange" as its destination is advertising that the service terminates at Sheffield Interchange and that is where I intended to alight. So it should have stopped there automatically :loopy:

Edited by CheekyBandit

I can aonly assume that he thought there was no one on