Tory Lord tells us we've "never had it so good"

Well it's odd that the Tories were more than happy to blame Labour for a recession but it turns out all along, according to Lord Young, that there wasn't a recession after all, he referred to it as a "so-called recession".

Probably taken out of context just as Boris Johnson's 'Kosovo style clearance' comment was.

Lots of people have been relatively unaffected by the recession, for those people 'so-called' is possibly fair comment, however unwise it was to say it.

I'll bet Cameron is deeply upset that, for all his efforts to try to present the New Tory Party, people like Lord Young come along to remind the country what the real Tory Party is all about underneath the gloss and PR

Yes, the real Tory party is all about encouraging people to help themselves rather than sponging off the state. If you had the good sense to take out an affordable mortgage when times were good, you should now be finding that your monthly repayments have dropped significantly.

If you read the whole speech rather than just take one sentence out of context and twist it, Lord Young is absolutely correct.

Totally taken out of context! Press love to report the bits that make headlines!!

If you read the whole speech rather than just take one sentence out of context and twist it, Lord Young is absolutely correct.

Mortgage payers have never had it better with the current long term low interest rates, especially those in the buy to let market. Their mortgages have droped significantly but their rents have not changed. They are quids in.

We hadn't had a Tory Government for 13 years. It seems that little has changed.

We got a Tory Government in 1979 it changed its name to NuLabour in 1997 and then changed its name again to NuConLib this year.

Yes, the real Tory party is all about encouraging people to help themselves rather than sponging off the state. If you had the good sense to take out an affordable mortgage when times were good, you should now be finding that your monthly repayments have dropped significantly.

I did listen to the whole speech (more fool me) before commenting

I took nothing out of context and twisted nothing

You may believe Lord Young is "absolutely correct"

David Cameron believes (according to his spokesman quoted in the Telegraph) that the "words are as offensive as they are inaccurate"

Or has he got it out of context?

David Cameron believes (according to his spokesman quoted in the Telegraph) that the "words are as offensive as they are inaccurate"

Or has he got it out of context?

Cameron is in full, reactive damage-control mode. "Context" went out the window ages ago. As usual, and nothing different relative to NuLab's own gaffes and spin (and the Tories' own before them, and...).

It's just politicians testiculating, I wish people had more sense than get inflamed by such non-news.

No, they're about teaching greed and selfishness or as Andrew Marr put it in the History of Modern Britain, "I'll have that," even if it wasn't theirs to have in the first place.

I actually agree with him to an extent.

If you are in work and paying a mortgage with a low interest rate, then you are likely to be better off than you have been for a while.

Those who are unemployed and looking for work will feel differently and my problem with the Government is that they are punishing those worse off, whilst those reasonably well off are getting away with very little suffering.

Not so sure about this ... you could be describing me, but no pay rise for the forseeable future, being screwed with my occupational pension, and having to work longer by another five years, but you are right in the sense at least I do have a job.

Cameron is in full, reactive damage-control mode. "Context" went out the window ages ago. As usual, and nothing different relative to NuLab's own gaffes and spin (and the Tories' own before them, and...).

It's just politicians testiculating, I wish people had more sense than get inflamed by such non-news.

I know - but anything that wipes the smile off the smug faces, if only for a short while, is fine by me