I can't unlock my laptop (Kensington lock)

Hi, I bought a Kensington lock (the one with the 4 digit code), and I secured to the K-slot in my laptop for the first time last night, and now I can get it to open!

I've tried pretty much everything I can think of, short of trying every single combination of which there are 10,000. Any suggestions?

I don't even know how it’s supposed to feel when the correct code is entered- should the button at the end pop out and then I twist it to open the lock, or should I be able to twist it first?

The lock fits loosely in the K-slot; I mean there is some wiggle-room, enough for me to expose the pins. It might be possible to get a very small saw and attempt cutting through the pins. My main worry is if I try/ someone else tries to cut/hack through the pins, the vibrations might shock my computer and damage he hardware.

I’ve e-mailed the manufacturer and I’m awaiting their response. I’ve also sent some pictures to a locksmith who seemed interested.

So If you bought the lock, didn't the unlock code come with it?

Sounds dodgy to me :suspect:

Hi, I bought a Kensington lock (the one with the 4 digit code), and I secured to the K-slot in my laptop for the first time last night, and now I can get it to open!

I've tried pretty much everything I can think of, short of trying every single combination of which there are 10,000. Any suggestions?

I don't even know how it’s supposed to feel when the correct code is entered- should the button at the end pop out and then I twist it to open the lock, or should I be able to twist it first?

The lock fits loosely in the K-slot; I mean there is some wiggle-room, enough for me to expose the pins. It might be possible to get a very small saw and attempt cutting through the pins. My main worry is if I try/ someone else tries to cut/hack through the pins, the vibrations might shock my computer and damage he hardware.

I’ve e-mailed the manufacturer and I’m awaiting their response. I’ve also sent some pictures to a locksmith who seemed interested.

Have you actually tried the 4 digit code that you set up yourself before locking it?? :hihi::hihi:

Sorry its just tickled me this morning

Like all locks they are pickable : ) If you haven't already managed to do it PM me and I will guide ya thought it.

This is of no help whatsoever but what did you expect to happen after you locked it? I think I would want to know what the code was beforehand. If you have bought a new lock there is usually a procedure to set the digits or a pre-defined one?

These are unbelievably easy to crack. Simply Pull the lock away from the laptop and keep applying pressure. As you do so turn the dial nearest the computer. When you hit the right number you will feel the lock move or slacken a little. Repeat for the other two numbers and its open.

I think my record is 14 seconds.

This trick also applies to combination padlocks - especially STERLING brands. So if you have one anywhere, get rid ASAP.

Edited by alchresearch

They are reasonably easy to undo if you have forgot your password. Just Google or have a look on You Tube for a video tutorial. :)

This is of no help whatsoever but what did you expect to happen after you locked it? I think I would want to know what the code was beforehand. If you have bought a new lock there is usually a procedure to set the digits or a pre-defined one?

Cheers, that is true, the default code set by the manufacturer is 0000. However, I did change the code to my Dads birthday, or at least I think I did, before I used it for the first time, so I never tested the original code the see if it would work (fool). I reckon I didn't set the code properly, so the code I'm trying repeatedly won't release; having said that, I never tested it…

Like all locks they are pickable : ) If you haven't already managed to do it PM me and I will guide ya thought it.

Hey man thanks for the PM. I can't PM back though LOL, I only registered last night cos of the lock, so i've yet to make 5 posts to be eligible. I seen the video already but my lock is different. It’s a numerical lock, so there’s no point obvious point of entry, like you have on one with a key, to jam anything in there. I did come across this video though: (ok I cant paste links as a new user either) anyway the title of the vid on youtube is:IEFD Ep. 9 - Lock Picking - Mult-Disc Combo Locks

Watch from about 4mins in the lock is pretty similar to mine. I’ll have to give it a try. My only question is where do I get a shim from?

The locksmith never got back to me lol, probably thought I stole it; I have not and I refute peoples suggestions that there’s something doggy going on. I’m just a student trying to protect my gear and in doing so have made a school-boy error (no pun intended).

The locksmith never got back to me lol, probably thought I stole it; I have not and I refute peoples suggestions that there’s something doggy going on. I’m just a student trying to protect my gear and in doing so have made a school-boy error (no pun intended).

The trouble is as I'm sure you can understand, there is no way of clarifying that here, online.

I'm sure if it had been stolen by someone and they were asking online for advice on how to crack the lock, then you wouldn't be happy if the information on how to do it was being given up so freely?

It's the same with "forgotten" passwords. Again, you can't clarify online if the OP is telling the truth. What's to say the computer hasn't been stolen or bought "cheap" at a car boot sale and the password was in fact set by the rightful owner. Again, if it was rightly your computer and it had been stolen and the thief or whoever had bought it was asking here, again you wouldn't be happy if advice on how to bypass or remove the password was freely given - would you?

The trouble is as I'm sure you can understand, there is no way of clarifying that here, online.

I'm sure if it had been stolen by someone and they were asking online for advice on how to crack the lock, then you wouldn't be happy if the information on how to do it was being given up so freely?

It's the same with "forgotten" passwords. Again, you can't clarify online if the OP is telling the truth. What's to say the computer hasn't been stolen or bought "cheap" at a car boot sale and the password was in fact set by the rightful owner. Again, if it was rightly your computer and it had been stolen and the thief or whoever had bought it was asking here, again you wouldn't be happy if advice on how to bypass or remove the password was freely given - would you?

Well put Sir ...

:thumbsup:

Now,

I have just lost my key fob for my Merc .............................

Well put Sir ...

Thank you.

Now,

I have just lost my key fob for my Merc .............................

Ah... You don't need the key. What you need to do is....... :D