Memories Of Walkley

Does anyone remember the hinchliffe or spooners from hadfield terrace I believe they lived at number 14. ?? Just doing a bit of family history and wondered if anyone remember them

Some history here,

http://www.sheffieldindexers.com/

I started at High Storrs in 1959,so preceded you by a few years.

We didn't even overlap at St Mary's but probably did in Industry Street. What number were you at? I lived at 85.

We didn't even overlap at St Mary's but probably did in Industry Street. What number were you at? I lived at 85.

That was MIBS who lived on Industry......Brooks

That was MIBS who lived on Industry......Brooks

Well spotted! Shows the good education we all received from St Mary's!! :-)

Hi we left Industry Street in the summer of 59 - No 86, across the road from you I think. Did you live next door to the shop?

Hi we left Industry Street in the summer of 59 - No 86, across the road from you I think. Did you live next door to the shop?

Doubt I could remember that as I was only just 2yrs! Yes, we lived next door to shop - that later was converted into a house (after your time). You are right in that you must have lived on the opposite side of Industry Street - were you in the "big house" with a large garden directly opposite?

Edited by TWhits

Doubt I could remember that as I was only just 2yrs! Yes, we lived next door to shop - that later was converted into a house (after your time). You are right in that you must have lived on the opposite side of Industry Street - were you in the "big house" with a large garden directly opposite?

So, you must be the new baby my Mom took me across the road to meet ! Hello again.

Yes, we lived across the road, looks like (on Google Earth) it’s all been altered now, but I recognise the gate posts and that wall. Fond memories of my brother and I sliding down the icy pavement on a tin tray which he rammed into the gate post to stop, I’d only be about 5yrs old and my mother wasn’t amused.

Those were the days!!

So, you must be the new baby my Mom took me across the road to meet ! Hello again.

Yes, we lived across the road, looks like (on Google Earth) it’s all been altered now, but I recognise the gate posts and that wall. Fond memories of my brother and I sliding down the icy pavement on a tin tray which he rammed into the gate post to stop, I’d only be about 5yrs old and my mother wasn’t amused.

Those were the days!!

Good to meet up with you again after all these years even if I don't remember the first time! I recall we went across to that house with a few other neighbours for a big bonfire for a couple of years. My dad rented one of the garages on your land for a while - about the time I was learning to drive. One family who lived there bought our old car and often sat there on an evening switching it on, with headlights and windscreen wipers occasionally used but not actually going anywhere - don't think he had a licence or maybe couldn't drive. Seemed a little unusual for a hobby!

Did you move far when you left?

We moved to Crosspool in July 59, when I finished at St Mary’s and went to High Storrs.

I’ve put a visit to the Walkley Festival on my to do list this year - it’ll bring back memories.

We moved to Crosspool in July 59, when I finished at St Mary’s and went to High Storrs.

I’ve put a visit to the Walkley Festival on my to do list this year - it’ll bring back memories.

Same as RJRB then in going from St Mary's to High Storrs? Presumably we had some overlapping teachers at St Mary's?

We seemed to alternate between Mrs Davidson and Mrs Smith with one year (J1 I think) where we started with Mr Clottrop (sp?). Last class was always Mrs Reynolds to get us ready for 11+. In such a small school they seemed to flex a bit between the year groups and I went up to the last class a year earlier than some. Mr Jarman was the headteacher whilst I was there.

Yes, usual suspects - Mr Jarman, Mr Dore, Mrs Reynolds, Mr Forester, Mrs Smith and a Reception teacher ? Mrs Schofield.

Are you still in Walkley?

I’m sure it will bring back memories .I still live in Walkley and whilst many of the buildings remain the same ,there are so many people who have moved on.

I have just acquired a Kelly’s Directory for 1957,and had great fun checking out the residents along South Road and all the side roads from Fulton Road to Industry Street.

For every name I remember there’s half a dozen that I have forgotten