Memories Of Walkley

I remember a lad called Bryan Hare who, unfortunately, died young. He was born around 1959, had a younger sister, mum and dad (might also have been called Bryan). They lived on corner of Walkley Street and Hoole Street in the house that I think used to be a shop opposite what used to be Co-op.

Still remember mom's co-op number and being allowed collect a block of ice cream from shop on corner of Walkley Street and Industry Street as a special treat.

I was Carol Welton. Lived on Pickmere Road growing up.

---------- Post added 09-11-2015 at 06:15 ----------

Would that be Paul Rutter?

Paul Rutter was in my class in KES, I know Ashley & Lindsay Garner too, and Chris Mather :hihi:

I was Carol Welton. Lived on Pickmere Road growing up.

---------- Post added 09-11-2015 at 06:15 ----------

Paul Rutter was in my class in KES, I know Ashley & Lindsay Garner too, and Chris Mather :hihi:

Sorry, Carol, your name doesn't ring a bell - we lived down Industry Street but I went to KES as well and my father also went to Bole Hill School.

I remember a Martin Rutter who went to St Mary's - was he a brother to Paul?

Not sure if he had a brother??

Probably a different Rutter family - or maybe near relatives. Pretty sure the one I am thinking of lived on Hadfield Street between Walkely Street and South Road.

paul rutter did live on hadfield st and did have 2 brothers

paul rutter did live on hadfield st and did have 2 brothers

Aha, sounds like the same family then - I remember that the Martin Rutter that I knew had at least one older brother (I distinctly remember him reading a newspaper when I went round one night) but didn't know his name. I guess Martin was born 1956/7 so was Paul born early 1950s perhaps? Martin went to St Mary's (say, to 1968 ) and then, I think, probably to Myers Grove.

Aha, sounds like the same family then - I remember that the Martin Rutter that I knew had at least one older brother (I distinctly remember him reading a newspaper when I went round one night) but didn't know his name. I guess Martin was born 1956/7 so was Paul born early 1950s perhaps? Martin went to St Mary's (say, to 1968 ) and then, I think, probably to Myers Grove.

The middle brother was Robert he was born I think early 1955, he was in the same class as me at St Mary's school and we both then went to Myers Grove in 1966. Martin was the youngest and from memory I think he was 2-3 yrs younger than Robert.

The middle brother was Robert he was born I think early 1955, he was in the same class as me at St Mary's school and we both then went to Myers Grove in 1966. Martin was the youngest and from memory I think he was 2-3 yrs younger than Robert.

That rings true - the brother I recall reading the paper was a good few years older than us. I was at St Mary's until 1968, when were you there? Do you remember the head, Mr Jarmen, Mrs Reynolds for top class, Mrs Davidson, Mrs Smith?

I remember some students a year older than me but might struggle with many older than that.

That rings true - the brother I recall reading the paper was a good few years older than us. I was at St Mary's until 1968, when were you there? Do you remember the head, Mr Jarmen, Mrs Reynolds for top class, Mrs Davidson, Mrs Smith?

I remember some students a year older than me but might struggle with many older than that.

Hi TWits, long time since we communicated last or at least it feels like it. I went to St Mary's from early 1960 until 1966 and then Myers Grove until 1970, I remember all those teachers very well and not forgetting the Great Dane Mr Klotrupp. If I remember this right, it was Mrs Davidson then Mrs Smith then as it was Mr Klotrupp and finally Mrs Reynolds. I have great memories of Mr Jarman and I used to go to his office quite often to read to him, do you remember his secretary Mrs Edwards. I left the Walkley area in 1973 moving to Rivelin Valley and then for a time out of Sheffield, but have been back for many years now and I now live at Frecheville and have just retired a few months ago. Going back to the Rutters if I have this right they had 2 cousins who lived accross the road from them they were Susan and Anthea Cryer I think Anthea would have been around your age.

Hi TWits, long time since we communicated last or at least it feels like it. I went to St Mary's from early 1960 until 1966 and then Myers Grove until 1970, I remember all those teachers very well and not forgetting the Great Dane Mr Klotrupp. If I remember this right, it was Mrs Davidson then Mrs Smith then as it was Mr Klotrupp and finally Mrs Reynolds. I have great memories of Mr Jarman and I used to go to his office quite often to read to him, do you remember his secretary Mrs Edwards. I left the Walkley area in 1973 moving to Rivelin Valley and then for a time out of Sheffield, but have been back for many years now and I now live at Frecheville and have just retired a few months ago. Going back to the Rutters if I have this right they had 2 cousins who lived accross the road from them they were Susan and Anthea Cryer I think Anthea would have been around your age.

I thought your tag name was familiar! You provoke so many memories. I think I started St Mary's in 1962 (ish) and left in 1968 for King Edwards. I was pleased to get into KES but it did make it difficult with most of my friends off to Myers Grove and so, effectively, I lost contact after 11yrs.

On the teachers, my year group alternated between Mrs Davidson and Mrs Smith but we did have a short spell with Mr Klotrupp (was he really a Dane?) who must have taken J1 but he left after a few weeks (were we really that bad?). I think Mrs Davison then took over and we had Mrs Smith in the penultimate class. It was only in the last class (two years for me) that we broke the sequence with Mrs Reynolds (did you find her as terrifying at the start as I did?) to prepare us for 11+ examinations. I don't remember Mrs Edwards particularly but do you remember some of the girls having to make tea / coffee for the teachers and take it round in the afternoon?

Were you in the same class as Peter Shirt, Steven Proctor, Tony Jessop, Jean Hallam?

Yes, I was in the same class as Anthea Cryer and I also remember Susan - I can still picture them both. I think there was an even younger sister (maybe Janette?) and recall them living opposite and up a bit on Hadfield Street but I hadn't realised they were cousins to Rutters. Of course, in those days, we didn't tend to go round to "play" with girls - much more segregation than today. There were more girls than boys in my year (around double) and several of them formed a close friendship group. I remember so many names.

I left Sheffield in 1978 after graduating and do not get back very often. My sister, Joy, still lives there. Coincidentally, I might also have retired this Summer! Enjoy your retirement.

The names you mention were actually the year below me although in the same classroom, there was actually only 11 pupils in my year group. Tony Jessop lived 3doors away from me in Hoole St until they moved to the top part of Hadfield St, some names I remember from my year were Helen Frith, Ken Bothamley, Stephen Green, Robert Rutter and David Harrison. Do you remember Ann Tomlin who lived in the yard near the corner shop at the corner of Hoole St and Walkley St, also Alison Leigh, and Judith Moore.

The names you mention were actually the year below me although in the same classroom, there was actually only 11 pupils in my year group. Tony Jessop lived 3doors away from me in Hoole St until they moved to the top part of Hadfield St, some names I remember from my year were Helen Frith, Ken Bothamley, Stephen Green, Robert Rutter and David Harrison. Do you remember Ann Tomlin who lived in the yard near the corner shop at the corner of Hoole St and Walkley St, also Alison Leigh, and Judith Moore.

I am struggling with most of those names - at that age, two years older was quite a lot. You mention Ann Tomlin in the yard with the corner shop. At some point, most of those corners had a shop of sorts. If you mean the one opposite the Co-op that was turned into a house, I recall Bryan Hare living there when it was a house but not Ann who most have shared the same yard. I do remember Alison Leigh though, she was in my year.