Memories Of Walkley

Thanks hyper.

That was my initial thought, but apparently he is adamant that it was a specially built paddling or swimming pool within Donkey Wood!

I can't ever seeing a paddling pool,or pond in the Donkey woods.The area is very steep and just basically trees.In the late 50s/mid 60s I spent most of my summer school holidays down there.The only paddling pool I remember was the one at Rivelin itself.

I lived in Walkley light years ago, in Freedom Rd. The house is now pulled down. Went to St Mary's when it was on South Rd and then to City Grammar.Have very happy memories of the old Walkley. The library, Gladman's dairy across from the library, where Mrs Gladman scooped your ice cream out of a big tub! Hawkesworths, the drapers, Clark's,wet fish shop, Duce's chip shop, both opposite the school, the round house at the top of Carr Rd, long demolished, with no back door!! so many memories. Would be interested to know if anyone else remembers any of these things.

Yes I remember John Duce,his father ran the chippy but it was still under the name of Bottomleys.Barry Betts used to live in the Round House.Bobby Clarkes dad ran the wet fish shop.There was also Siddalls chemists,Wagners barbers and Eric Smiths butchers.This was between 1946 and 1951.

---------- Post added 23-04-2015 at 17:11 ----------

I wasn't born in Walkley but spent my young childhood years there. I went to St Mary's school on South Road and have mant happy memories of time spent there, before I went to the City Grammar. It was like a little village in those days. Every shop you needed was there, without having to visit town.Some things remain the same there, but much has changed. It always saddens me to see St Mary's and no shouting, playing children running around in the playground. I wonder if there's anybody out there who was at St Mary's in the mid to late 40s and early 50s?

Yep I went to St Marys between 1947 and 1951 and then went to High Storrs

Does anyone know if there was ever a paddling pool on Donkey Wood? My father's friend insists there was, and it was separate to the paddling pools further up at Rivelin. :confused:

It's so steep, surely it would be impossible!

There was a swimming pool in Rivelin Valley in the 1920s early 30s,

it was further up the valley than the Donkey Woods. Situated over the

bridge, where the path leads up through the wood to Roscoe Bank.

Maybe this is what your fathers friend is thinking about.

I was born in Walkley in 1952.We lived on Hadfield Terrace(which was just off Hadfield Street).My name is Bennett and my mums side of the family were Pearson.She was Iris Pearson,her sister was called Joan.Her 2 brothers were Charlie and Peter.Charlie started out as a butcher working at Eric Smiths.My sister is called Caroline and we went to Burgoyne Road school,then she went to City Grammar(Boffin of the family)and I went to Myers Grove(as I failed my 11+)

My dad and his sister Joyce went to St Marys on South Road.They lived with my grandma in Hoole Street until my dad met my mum.My mums mum and dad were Charlie and Carrie Pearson,they lived also on Hadfield Terrace until 1957 when they moved to No 61 Palm Street.

We lived at Walkley till 1968 when our houses were part of slum clearance.My heart will always be with Walkley and the happy childhood and times I had there.

Hi I lived on grammar Street about 1950 to 1972 when I married and left home to live on Thorsby Rd, down Hillsborough. Now I live in Los Cristianos in Tenerife. Having a great life.

Hi I lived on grammar Street about 1950 to 1972 when I married and left home to live on Thorsby Rd, down Hillsborough. Now I live in Los Cristianos in Tenerife. Having a great life.

Whereabouts on Grammar St?

Just below the junction with Greaves St and Freedom St.

Went to Walkley School until 1965. Also went to St Barts youth club at the bottom of Primrose Hill. Run by Dan Weir, a good man.

Hi I also lived in Grammar st.around 1948 to 1955.lived just up from the junction nearly opposite the chippy.Went to parkside rd school Hillsbro . my nickname was tiny Tingle local friends George davison ,Betty shemmels and the Unwins.My uncle also lived higher up Grammar st. called Fogg.great days spacially sledging down Normandale rd in winter . thats the way to do it....

Hi Tiny Tingle, I don't think that I can place you but I do remember sledging down Normandale Road, and it's a good job that somebody used to spread the ashes across the bottom or we would have gone straight across Langsett Rd and down the tip, Now that would have been a ride.

Yes I remember John Duce,his father ran the chippy but it was still under the name of Bottomleys.Barry Betts used to live in the Round House.Bobby Clarkes dad ran the wet fish shop.There was also Siddalls chemists,Wagners barbers and Eric Smiths butchers.This was between 1946 and 1951.

---------- Post added 23-04-2015 at 17:11 ----------

Yep I went to St Marys between 1947 and 1951 and then went to High Storrs

I was at St Mary's in the 1960s. My friend, David Walker, lived in the round house then. Used to go round to his house and play football on a gravel type area round their back.

I think that I remember you (vaguely) - I was brought up at 85 Industry Street.

Hello. I remember the nettleships. im steve from the hollis family.we lived at 124 industry street.I was only just born when my parents moved there and we moved when i was 18. We had a golden ladrador called susy. I was friends with the barkers across the road. Chester barker had the bakers shop on South Road. The kids were neil and deborah. I have so many memories of industry street growing up there. If anyone remembers our family I would love to hear from you. Steve .

---------- Post added 26-05-2015 at 14:27 ----------

The garage was called Towyn car services, it opened in the early 60's by a Mr Hogg I can't remember his first name, but his son was called George who ran it after him. I worked there with George for 2years 1971-3, Mark&Paul are related to me and their dad is Derek and mum Betty who lived next to Betty's mom and dad Tommy and Nellie Crookes. I lived in Hoole St from the age of 4 until I was 20 and could almost fall out of bed into work, I was at St Mary's 1962-66 and then Myers Grove until 1970. I remember Paul & Glynis Mather and although younger Katherine Jennison whose yard used to back onto ours, on the corner of walkley st was Anne Tomlin, across the road Trudy Hodgeson and Pat Tanzer also down Industry St if I remember correctly just below Ian Smith was Larry Billinghay. As for the earlier mention of Paul Rutter his brother Robert was in the same class as me along with Ken Bothamley, Tony Jessop, Peter Shirt, Richard Moore to name a few. My Great Grandparents used to live in the first yard below the Co-op, how many can still remember the old dividend numbers, and the shuttle that used to send money through the air. I have had some great times living in Walkey and still have even more memories of that time.

Hello. My mum was really good friends with Betty hall. My mum is Maureen hollis. We lived at 124 industry street for 18 years. My mum worked at walkley infant school in the playground. My dad had a vandam pla princess that he parked in the car park on the corner of Hoole street and walkley street and it caught fire one night. He sold it for scrap to paul hall when he had the garage at the top of industry street. Steve.