Memories Of Walkley

You youngster - I was leaving Sheffield in 1978 and only short visits since then. Glad someone was following in my schooling footsteps. Presumably, you missed the 11+ trauma that we had to face to get to King Teds?
yeh missed that , just went straight there mate .

yeh missed that , just went straight there mate .

It is ok for some ..... but you probably missed the flour bomb though!

It is ok for some ..... but you probably missed the flour bomb though!

yeh don,t know anything about that just somebody jumping out of a 1st floor window at king teds !!!!!!!!!

yeh don,t know anything about that just somebody jumping out of a 1st floor window at king teds !!!!!!!!!

What happened? Someone jump or pushed? How badly were they injured?

The flour incident occurred when the annual prize giving was brought into the school hall due to refurbishment at the usual city hall. Bag of flour held in place by a string and a candle burning through it - all in the roof void two storeys above the stage. With anxious eyes looking upward during the speeches, part way through the "bomb" went off and a neat pyramid of flour piled up on deputy head's bald head! We missed out on our customary days holiday for that speech day, but, arguably it was worth it.

The head asked for names of culprits to be placed in the traditional "headmasters box" - but that curiously disappeared!

bit of tom foolery some one was being chased by another lad with some doggy doo on a stick and he ran into a 1st floor classroom at upper school and just jumped out of an open window to escape , i think he ended up with a broken ankle .

I was born in walkley went to st Marys Myers grove from the Phillips family

I was born in walkley went to st Marys Myers grove from the Phillips family

When / what years?

i went to crookesmoor school then myers and did 11 plus didnt get away with that

When / what years?

I was born in 75 but i have 1 bro and 3 sisters that are older then me.my grandad and nan moved to whitehouse lane after there house got bombed at hillsborough my mum and dad have passed away so i cant ask them

No mate , st.marys in the 70,s and then went to king teds in 78 and left in 1983 .

I left KES in 84 but went to Westways at Crookes before that,

Live in Walkley now and love the area

mumsy

x

Yes they were my parents, Dad died in Cundy St around 1990, we moved Mum to be near us in Dronfield around 1992 where she died a few years later.

Thank you for getting in touch.

Hi Bassman I have been trying to trace relatives. Did you know isabella swift husband Frank lived at 20 freedom road , I believe they are my grandparents

The bloke who died whilst cutting someones hair must have been old Mr Binks.

The Hairdresser who died whilst cutting hair choked on his false teeth, his shop was at the end of South road opposite the library.