Football Clubs "part of the Community"

I am really fed up with hearing this when we have a football club in financial trouble, Mr Paker said it about three times in his statement on the steps of the high court, "I feel sorry for the fans and the community that SWFC are"

What community is this every club roles this out, what community, where is it and what do you do for it, I am not just having a go at Wednesday, but all the clubs before them. Get real you dont help the community you dont belong to a community, you are a business and you charge "your commuinty" for the privilage of viewing the so called entertainment, You dont provide good entertainment you dont succeed, you fail and then you want the "community you serve" to bail you out.

Myself I rather help forgemasters than SWFC. I am sure they give more to the community the SWFC have ever done, even the "reverse sponsorship" deal with the Childrens Hospital relies on the FANS coughing up more money so that the club can put their name to the idea.

Sorry rant over for today.

Good post and that is how football is these days...Greed, greed and more greed!

Now I'm certainly not going to defend anything that has happened over on that side of the city, but you appear to miss the point.

The club is the focal point for the community of fans. As fans, and as bodies of fans, we are our own communities. Yes, it's incontravertible that clubs are businesses, and more so than ever before, but clubs breed a community, and by dint of that are part and the very embodiment of those communities.

I am really fed up with hearing this when we have a football club in financial trouble, Mr Paker said it about three times in his statement on the steps of the high court, "I feel sorry for the fans and the community that SWFC are"

What community is this every club roles this out, what community, where is it and what do you do for it, I am not just having a go at Wednesday, but all the clubs before them. Get real you dont help the community you dont belong to a community, you are a business and you charge "your commuinty" for the privilage of viewing the so called entertainment, You dont provide good entertainment you dont succeed, you fail and then you want the "community you serve" to bail you out.

Myself I rather help forgemasters than SWFC. I am sure they give more to the community the SWFC have ever done, even the "reverse sponsorship" deal with the Childrens Hospital relies on the FANS coughing up more money so that the club can put their name to the idea.

Sorry rant over for today.

I bet you help yourself first and foremost though eh ? Get down off your high horse pal, the world you live in thrives on hype and bull :thumbsup:

Compared to yesteryear however, football clubs do very little for their surrounding community. In the past the football in the community programme was a place where kids could go during the school holiday to play football and stay out of trouble or even just give adults a break away from the kids, however football clubs even charge for this service now. The enterprise / adult learning centres aren't a good will gesture either, these are again merely money making opportunities as they recieve government funding for operating these.

For the amount of cash that average joe pummells into supporting his local club per week, the club should spare a few thousand to invest back into the people who make everything happen, a football club is nothing without fans SIMPLE.

Compared to yesteryear however, football clubs do very little for their surrounding community. In the past the football in the community programme was a place where kids could go during the school holiday to play football and stay out of trouble or even just give adults a break away from the kids, however football clubs even charge for this service now. The enterprise / adult learning centres aren't a good will gesture either, these are again merely money making opportunities as they recieve government funding for operating these.

For the amount of cash that average joe pummells into supporting his local club per week, the club should spare a few thousand to invest back into the people who make everything happen, a football club is nothing without fans SIMPLE.

thats what taxes are for

The clubs that have stopped doing all this, still have the fans, so they'd be daft throwing the money away.

How many Blades fans do you know who have decided to support some other team because United no longer give enough time, money, or both, back into the community? How many Owls? How many of anybody, come to that...

Nothing better than seeing a young lad with a smile on his face and a ball at his feet.

Now I'm certainly not going to defend anything that has happened over on that side of the city, but you appear to miss the point.

The club is the focal point for the community of fans. As fans, and as bodies of fans, we are our own communities. Yes, it's incontravertible that clubs are businesses, and more so than ever before, but clubs breed a community, and by dint of that are part and the very embodiment of those communities.

Very good points!

part of the community...hmmmm ... so people see clubs as part of the community... ... when i worked at s6... as part of the Community programme... funding never came from the club... so.. no i dont see a club as part of the community... i see a community as part of a club.