Hucklow Road School

I was there for a year between 1955 & 1956 in Miss Bentley's class then moved up to Hinde House as soon as it was built.

Here are photos opf my 1955/56 class plus whos who & one taken a year or 2 earlier of prettty much the same people.

1955/56

huckclass.jpg

Whos who

huckclassoldwho.jpg

Year or 2 earlier

huckclassold.jpg

Belgium trip with George Ridgeway 1956 or 57

belgium.jpg

WE still have a Hinde House reunion attended by those of us who started there as soon as it opened. George Ridgeway & Miss Napier still go.

John

Hi. I don't suppose you know the name of the boy second row from the back, third from the right in your photo http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/johnpm-bucket/media/bWVkaWFJZDoyNjMwNTAwNQ==/?ref=

He looks a bit like my brother, he had hair that stuck up just like the lad in the picture. He went to Hucklow about that time. He was born in 1950.

Hi. I don't suppose you know the name of the boy second row from the back, third from the right in your photo http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/johnpm-bucket/media/bWVkaWFJZDoyNjMwNTAwNQ==/?ref=

He looks a bit like my brother, he had hair that stuck up just like the lad in the picture. He went to Hucklow about that time. He was born in 1950.

I don't think this is our class, I don’t recognise anyone neither am I on it.

I don't think this is our class, I don’t recognise anyone neither am I on it.

Alan, You would probably have been in detention when the photo was taken. That's why you are not on it. He he.

Hucklow Road school my teachers were Mrs Boyson for two years, Miss Singleton, Mr Bell. This was in the juniors. 72 to 76 if my memory serves me right

Classmates were Sandra Speight, David Gillott, Jonathon Tuke, Deborah Bailey, Julie Lawton, Helen Barnard, Chris Riley, Hailey Whittam , I will add more as I remember

I attended Hucklow Road School 1947-57 and then Hinde House when it first opened, for what I recall, seemed like 6 long months.  I remember Mr Sisk as the most intense of teachers at Hucklow Road though he could sometimes indeed seem a bit scary and I do believe he had suffered greatly as a prisoner of war in the Far East during the second world war. He taught classes with this direct manner but during some difficult times for me, he had a considerable influence on my desire to explore and learn about things which I have never forgotten. I also   chose his name for a security question and recall that in the 50s he then came to school on an extremely small scooter that seemed to be more suitable for a child. How interesting it would have been to get to know him better.  I certainly felt he was a good man and without knowing Mr Sisk other than as a teacher, I still remember him as a sort of early role model for my own desire to learn. Teachers in those days were much stricter and physical punishment the norm for the time. Some classes including the woodwork could sometimes also be quite scary but in most respect my memories of the school are happy ones guided by a fine head teacher Mr Gambles who had two artificial legs, and I recall he seemed a very reassuring presence at the school. I also remember with a smile the Christmas and Mayday celebrations including the crowning of the May King and Queen in the main hall which was decked out with flowers for the occasion.

Very different world then on my journeys to the school stopping off at the top of Ellerton Rd at Mrs Pardoe's front room shop window for a glass of Tizer, and those yummy fishcakes and scraps from the Chippie, then owned by the family of Shah Basha who I think was resident at Hucklow Rd School for a while. 

About school dinners they were ok given rationing had still existed since the war but whist I don’t recall any bullet peas, I do remember hating the boiled onions and sago pudding and being under some pressure from the circling teachers to eat it anyhow.

Over the years I have met up with a few classmates from that time and though I now live near Harrow I wonder if any others have memories from Firth Park 1947-57.    

6 hours ago, Baz-John said:

I attended Hucklow Road School 1947-57 and then Hinde House when it first opened, for what I recall, seemed like 6 long months.  I remember Mr Sisk as the most intense of teachers at Hucklow Road though he could sometimes indeed seem a bit scary and I do believe he had suffered greatly as a prisoner of war in the Far East during the second world war. He taught classes with this direct manner but during some difficult times for me, he had a considerable influence on my desire to explore and learn about things which I have never forgotten. I also   chose his name for a security question and recall that in the 50s he then came to school on an extremely small scooter that seemed to be more suitable for a child. How interesting it would have been to get to know him better.  I certainly felt he was a good man and without knowing Mr Sisk other than as a teacher, I still remember him as a sort of early role model for my own desire to learn. Teachers in those days were much stricter and physical punishment the norm for the time. Some classes including the woodwork could sometimes also be quite scary but in most respect my memories of the school are happy ones guided by a fine head teacher Mr Gambles who had two artificial legs, and I recall he seemed a very reassuring presence at the school. I also remember with a smile the Christmas and Mayday celebrations including the crowning of the May King and Queen in the main hall which was decked out with flowers for the occasion.

Very different world then on my journeys to the school stopping off at the top of Ellerton Rd at Mrs Pardoe's front room shop window for a glass of Tizer, and those yummy fishcakes and scraps from the Chippie, then owned by the family of Shah Basha who I think was resident at Hucklow Rd School for a while. 

About school dinners they were ok given rationing had still existed since the war but whist I don’t recall any bullet peas, I do remember hating the boiled onions and sago pudding and being under some pressure from the circling teachers to eat it anyhow.

Over the years I have met up with a few classmates from that time and though I now live near Harrow I wonder if any others have memories from Firth Park 1947-57.    

Hi Baz-John, I attended Hucklow road school from 1952 to 1958 then on to Hinde House. I remember the names you mentioned. I also remember Miss Tose and (my favourite) Mr Taylor. I too enjoyed a penny drink from Mrs Pardoe's and the chippy across the road. I got banned from Mrs Pardoe's for swearing at her, although I still insist I didn't really know what I was saying. I didn't really take to senior school very much, although I was in the top class of each year. I sort of just did enough and I left at 15 yrs old. I still live fairly close to Hucklow road and I often let my mind wander back to those days when I pass by. Happy days I suppose. Innocent days I think.

My dear brother Peter is at far left on front row, x-legged. He died at 50, but lived on Vickers Rd all his life.

I also recognise the girl top row 4th from left - Elizabeth S. The photo is hard to see because of the Photobucket strap. 

I also have a photo of my class Junior 4 in 1961 somewhere in the house - will post when I can. 

I also remember the names of most folks in my class still, but don't feel it;s fair to post their names somehow without their permssion.. 

During Lockdown I found my nightdress case I made in Miss Toes' class c. 1959 - still looks like new! - I was peeved cos I had to undo the embroidery as my tied off ends weren't neat enough.!

Hi - I was at Hucklow 55 -61, same class as Coddy, Alan McKenna, Michael simpkins etc all mentioned above...my name is /was Judith. Went to Abbeydale fter we were mentally "whipped" to get through the 11 plus..  I must post up the class photo ... 

I just still know/have bumped into  only 3 folks from my classes there.. Moira G, Lynn S,  Margaret S.

I never realised at the time how close to WW2 we had been.. strange really..random remark!!!

my name is ralph west I went there I thought sisk was spelt with a c     never had school dinners so did not have to put up with the cabbage

Hi 

Pics attached of two of my classes: one is 1957, top infants, I think, and one is 1961 (Junior 4) with Mrs Shaw as teacher.
I know many of the names of those in the photos, esp. the girls,  but don't feel it's fair to name them without permission. 

Or rather NOT attached, sorry... they are on my desktop. I  don't know how to attach them on this site...  help? 

On 05/12/2010 at 22:13, locket said:

anyone remember philip & chris dickens?

Philip was in my class