Hucklow Road School

Tina was in my class, you seem to be 2 years younger. My brother Andrew would have been your age. We lived at 21 The Oval, my grandma was no 1 Tideswell Road. Do you remember Michael Maw? He also lived on Tideswell road. We Michael and I will be going for our annual stroll around Firth Park with a chippy lunch at the Paragon chip shop. You are welcome to join us if you wish

Alan

Hi ibbo, here is the list you wanted

If your name is in the list below and you would like to meet up in our 65year, please message me.

Alan

All these people were in my year I believe,(left in 1962) we should all be 60/61yrs old. I would love to hear from you all and share some memories. Sorry to any I have forgotten, my memory is not as sharp as it was.

Robert Brian, Norman Coldwell, Limbert Collins,Wilbert Collins, Robert Cook, Geoffrey Cooke, Stephen Cotterril, Christopher Dickens, Brian Dickenson, Alan Fergus, Gordon lennihan, JohnLewis, Alan Middleton, Stephen Moffat, Billy Moulds, leslie Nicholson, Brian Norris, Henry Parkin, Graham Sanderson, DavidSpencer, Alan Stone, Brian Swallow, Neil Sykes, Peter Unwin,

Barbara Antcliffe, Beryl Atter, Tina Crawford, Theresa Dring, Christine Downes,

Pauline France, Maureen Gladsby, Elizabeth Lill, Carol Loukes, Jean Menzies,

Pauline Newton, Cathleen Parker, Josephine Proctor, Andrea Smith,

Patricia Smith, Linda Smithson, Susan Stokes, Pamela Walshaw,

If you are on the list and would like to celebrate our 65 yr please message me.

Alan

If you are on the list and would like to celebrate our 65 yr please message me.

Alan

Hi Alan

I attended Hucklow road school and I would have left in 1963/64.My name is Paul Berry and we lived on Idsworth Road.I remember Miss Carding-Wells and good old Mr Bradley.I remember learning to play the cello so I could get into the orchestra as I had a crush on a girl who played clarinet I think her name was Jane Beeston.When I left Hucklow I went to Silverdale that was a daily trek.

You were a year behind me and a year in front of my brother Andrew. Sorry I dont recognise your name.

Hi.

I went to Hucklow Road School all school life and left in 1955. About the time it moved to Hinde House.

When I started school Ms Wragg was the headmistress and Miss Toes was assistant head. In the seniors Mr Gamble was headmaster and I remember Mr Wilson, Mr Laver, Mr Sisk, Mr Stocks and Mr Ridgeway and Miss Nugent.

But my favourite and I think best teacher was Mrs Laybourne. She was our first teacher in senior school and took us out to the country at the weekends, I still have a photo of her with all the class.

I remember Philip and Leonard Marney they lived on the Oval and so did I, we were all in the same class. They left for a year when they were 10 and went to Firshill School

I think you would have worked out my age by know, anyone got a good memory.

Joan G

There will be a school reunion for all Hucklow ex pupils at the Davy United Sports Ground on October 19th at 2.30pm.

If you want to attend contact either Josie Bird foldrings@icloud.com or Pauline Reynolds pmreynolds67@outlook.com

Tell them Alan told you about it. The more the merrier, husbands wives and partners are welcome.

I am sure my mum & dad went to Hucklow Rd School, and left around 1960.

Maureen Gill (maiden name) & David Bennett.

Both sadly passed away now.

Does anybody remember them?

I think my dad lived in "the oval" ?? somewhere around Firth Park.

Anyone interested in my old school photo I think it was taken in 51/52 the teacher is Mrs Laybourne and it was taken on the field below Calder Way.

I can name all of my fellow classmates.

Pattison Millar, Kenneth Pool, Rodney Christian, Brian Tattersall, Robert Winter, Roy Loxley, Philip Constantine, Alan Wragg, Barry Mills, David Cox, Trevor Lees, John Whitworth, George Grantham, Keith Middleton,

Maureen Chambers, Varona Whitaker, Doreen Holland, Kathleen Beech, Joan Gilbert, Pat Blake, Sonia Rhodes, Maureen Stone, Connie Banner, Josie Jackson, Janet Stone, Pat Booth, Sandra Francis, Valerie Everington, Maureen Flynn, Irene Cox.

I am happy to post it if anyone wants to see it.

Know this is an old topic but passed Hucklow School this last Sunday and it looks in very good condition and well looked after at least from the outside . Got some very fond memories of this school

Hi Alan

I attended Hucklow road school and I would have left in 1963/64.My name is Paul Berry and we lived on Idsworth Road.I remember Miss Carding-Wells and good old Mr Bradley.I remember learning to play the cello so I could get into the orchestra as I had a crush on a girl who played clarinet I think her name was Jane Beeston.When I left Hucklow I went to Silverdale that was a daily trek.

Hi Paul just to let you know some old Hucklow pupils meet at the Stubbin Centre Fairthorn Roadat 1.0 PM every Tuesday for a chat and a cuppa. It would be good if you could make it.

---------- Post added 11-12-2017 at 17:18 ----------

Hi Alan. Sorry old age is setting in. I went from 57 to 64 before going to Abbeydale. I remember Tina Crawford who lived on the same road as me and went to High Storrs, I was always being told to try and get on well like 'Tina had done' by my mum.

Hi Ibbo just to let you know some old Hucklow pupils meet at the Stubbin Centre Fairthorn Roadat 1.0 PM every Tuesday for a chat and a cuppa. It would be good if you could make it.

---------- Post added 11-12-2017 at 17:20 ----------

I'm sorry to report that George Ridgeway passed away 2/3/13 aged 83.

RIP George.

Hi Jim just to let you know some old Hucklow pupils meet at the Stubbin Centre Fairthorn Roadat 1.0 PM every Tuesday for a chat and a cuppa. It would be good if you could make it.

---------- Post added 11-12-2017 at 17:22 ----------

Hi,

Anyone go to Hucklow Road School in Firth Park in the 50's?

Thanks

Hi Lewis just to let you know some old Hucklow pupils meet at the Stubbin Centre Fairthorn Roadat 1.0 PM every Tuesday for a chat and a cuppa. It would be good if you could make it.

---------- Post added 11-12-2017 at 17:24 ----------

Hi Ibbo

When I got thinking properly I realised I started in either 60 or 61 so in your last years and yes now you mention it the name Miss Martin does ring a bell.

On another post someone mentioned playing bulldog, brought back memories of playing it in the narrow bottom yard at Hucklow.

Hi Firparnian just to let you know some old Hucklow pupils meet at the Stubbin Centre Fairthorn Roadat 1.0 PM every Tuesday for a chat and a cuppa. It would be good if you could make it.

I was at Hucklow 1955 -61. ( lat 2 years in Mrs Shaw's class.) Mr Sisk was very scary and his torture scars and direct manner made him seem larger than life, but I recall him teaching us to recite RL Stevenson,s lovely poem From A Railway Carriage over and over again very dramatically until we could do it - great teaching! I bumped into him, quite elderly and even more wrinkled, on his motor scoter in the 80s as he lived near me, and he seemed a very nice man. Wish I could have talked to him more about those days.

Mrs Shaw (ex Miss Farmer ) could be quite viscious and ruler you at a moment's notice, but she got lots of us through the 11+ and I admit I was later grateful for that, ( since I enjoyed my secondary school)very much).. whatever the morality of selective schools and the things we DIDN'T seem to do at at school. She later had a craft shop at the town end of London Road. I was the scorer for the Rounders team and she threatened me with the sack from that job for once talking in class!

I can remember lots from those days - lots of skipping; terrible big wax crayons; Time and Tune and the BBC nature programmes where you were allowed to buy the colour programme at end of term for 3d. swimming at Sutherland Road baths, snaking down the road, the front room shop at the top of Ellerton where you cold get a penny Tizer (in a sherry glass?!), yummy scraps from the chippie opposite on a Friday. I myself never had a school din. at Hucklow, always went home, but was fascinated by the comments about school peas like bullets.

It seemed that all our teachers had comic names that could be parodied - Cornflake from Cornthwaite, Toes, Carding- Wells etc.

Anyway that's enough for now. I only know 2 girls from my class now even though am still in Sheffield and have been continuously.

Downham road. I remember the Speights, Elvins and Woodrows.

I lived at number 40 downham rd, salisburys, my friend lived at no 30 Davies's xx