Hucklow Road School

Hi Ibbo

When I got thinking properly I realised I started in either 60 or 61 so in your last years and yes now you mention it the name Miss Martin does ring a bell.

On another post someone mentioned playing bulldog, brought back memories of playing it in the narrow bottom yard at Hucklow.

I went to Hucklow in approx '72 to '76 Juniors.

Headmaster was Mr Bradley, his wife worked in the office. Deputy Head, Mr Howe.

Teachers I remember are, Miss Walsh, Mrs Boyson (in the music room), Miss Singleton, Miss Twydale (cooking), Miss Paramore (French) and Mr Bell.

I went to Hucklow in the 60's/early 70's. Oh Miss Twydale - Home Economics - dyed black curly hair, red lipstick, and big, bright green earings that were like mint imperials. I remember when we used to play rounders against the teachers in the summer and Miss Twydale had just 'batted' and she stopped between bases for a rest 'till we all yelled at her to keep running - strange memory to keep.....and Mr Bell, and Mr Trevithick (not spelled correctly sorry) - remember the orchestra that Mr Bradley was so proud of? I used to play the double bass....... and Mr Kennedy the Art teacher ........... remember going into the hall to watch the 1969 moon landing on the big tele ........... and the assemblies in the morning where Mr Bradley would play his classical music until we were all in and sitting .......... Mr Sysk, and Mr Simpson .................

I went to Hucklow Road School from 1947 -1958 then on to Hinde house

I also went to Belgium and am on the photo taken at the railway station.Teachers i remember are Miss Wheatly,Mr Sysk, Mr Ridgeway, Mr Gambles (headmaster) Mr Napier

Edited by mojo42

me aunty joan(ann newman) were there about then!

Did the Newman's live on Horniglow Road?

I started at Hucklow Road infants in 1960, Miss Martin was the head mistress and Mr Bradley was headmaster of the Juniors - can anyone remember Mrs Clark- if you didn't know something she chucked the blackboard rubber at you.

Did the Newman's live on Horniglow Road?

no 30 downham road with terry and ron.

Downham road. I remember the Speights, Elvins and Woodrows.

Hi Firparnian, I went from 57 to 62, same dates? Definately the same teachers. Wasn't Mr Howe a bit keen on Miss Carding-Wells? I thought Miss Martin was the headteacher of the infants. Wasn't Mr Bradley the headteacher of the juniors?

I went to Hucklow road 57 to 62 and was in Chris Dickens class. My name is Alan Fergus. Another school friend Mick Maw ...Harleyman meet up and visit Firth Park occasionally. We'd love to meet up with others

Alan

Hi I went to Hucklow Rd School and have fantastic memories, Rounders and football in the school yard. Slides by the side of the wall in the icy winters. I remember about 40 names from school. If you were there during my time I would love to here from you.

Alan

anyone remember philip & chris dickens?

Chris was a friend of mine in my class at Hucklow, we both then went on to Marlcliffe. Sadly Chris has passed away.

Alan Fergus

Hi Firparnian, I went from 57 to 62, same dates? Definately the same teachers. Wasn't Mr Howe a bit keen on Miss Carding-Wells? I thought Miss Martin was the headteacher of the infants. Wasn't Mr Bradley the headteacher of the juniors?

Mr Vincent Bradley was the headteacher of the juniors in 1962 the year I left. Mr Bradley was the conductor with the Halley Orchestra and he and Mr Lord taught me to play the violin.

Are you one of the class of 62? If you look on the hinde house thread I have left a list of names you might remember

Alan Fergus