English Steel (British Steel) 1960's

I am not sure but I think it was Vickers works before it was the E.S.C.

English Steel Corporation was part of the Vickers Group of companies until it was nationalised in 1967. I was in the ESC first aid team & we went to the Vickers Group First Aid competition at Vickers Naval Yard Newcastle one year.

Anyone out there who worked in the joiners shop -- Hawke street gate five-- late fifties, early sixties???

My dad worked at steel peach and tozer, then later British steel , he was a overhead crane driver in the melting shop.He retired in the early 80s when all the redundancies where taking place.He worked there over 40years. His name was Joe Westhead, he also had a brother working there but I am not sure which department he was in, his name was Jim ....does anyone remember them.

I was a comptometer operator at River Don.

The room where the computers were, had to be kept at a certain temperature and the lighting was very dim.

The tonnage (tonnes) was delivered from the various foundries, and the paperwork sent to River Don invoice department for processing and sending out to the customer at the month end.

''Month end'' was very busy getting all the invoices out.

Does anyone remember Mr George Tring? Mr Brian Sanderson? OH! and the dripping cakes bought from the little shop at the bottom of Upwell Street?

Upwell Street, seemed to go on forever.

---------- Post added 16-07-2015 at 00:50 ----------

''Spiders'' were sent out from certain foundries, I never could imagine what they were or looked like.

I found this in my Dads stuff, taken early 70s at one of the functions.. Probably the Phoenix Rooms?

003_zps1974b89f.jpg

Just looking back to the first post.

I was a comptometer operator at River Don . Accounts dept.

Mr Sanderson?... George Tring?.. Big Jean? Ring any bells?

---------- Post added 18-08-2015 at 14:46 ----------

and Dorothy, Mr Sanderson's secretary. We still exchange Christmas cards.

My name is Alan Kemp age now 74. Started at esc in1956 as office lad in wages dept for 1 year my boss was a Mr Sims. Then in to training shop for 2years then into Hawk St planner which was the heavy machine shop.worked on the Plano Miller for 2 years then went to work on the 10 inch ram borer mating lol Nicleson. Head Forman there was a Mr Simkins. Another Forman I remember was Arther Murrey happy days

My name is Alan Kemp age now 74. Started at esc in1956 as office lad in wages dept for 1 year my boss was a Mr Sims. Then in to training shop for 2years then into Hawk St planner which was the heavy machine shop.worked on the Plano Miller for 2 years then went to work on the 10 inch ram borer mating lol Nicleson. Head Forman there was a Mr Simpkins. Another Foreman I remember was Arthur Murray happy days

I was apprentice fitter in there and New Shop about '65-67,worked with Jim Buckley, Cliff Varley and maintenance boss Charlie Legg. You must have been on the 10" Asquith. Our turner was known as Mad Jack,as you say, great times

Edited by beezerboy
spelling

Yes I was on the Asquith Borer I remember when they was getting the site ready for the borer this was all done by Charlie I used to machine the massey press frame and hammer blocks which were all cast at Grimesthorpe

When I was on the Kendall and Gent Plano Miller I was mainly machining Bogy frames. Earned some good money while there