English Steel (British Steel) 1960's

sorry neither of the names ring a bell, mostly christian names were used. I left

the die shop in1962.

Hi clown

We probably know each other. I worked in the die shop from 1957 to 1966. I worked as a die miller. Jimmy Hague was my partner on shifts. I think Trevor Wilson became a foreman after I left. George Walker was the milling foreman. Don Smith was a guy I worked under as an apprentice. You have brought back some nice memories unfortunately time has faded some of the names.

Cheers

wombatc

Hi wombatc,

We have comunicated before on the hatfield house lane site, when I was unable to help you locate old school mates. Little did i know that we had worked togeather in the apprentice workshop and the die sinking shop. I was on the marking out table, the slider on the table was marking out track link dies for the keller milling m/s. it's a long time ago and I spent 9 months in the die shop drawing office.I remember George Walker, he wore glasses and one night shift we lossed the lights, fires were lit in the scrap pans. poor old George walked into one cutting his nose. I have a Few memories of funny things that happened in the die shop whilst I worked in it. I have a friend who was in the apprentice workshop at that time who has good memory of the trainers. I'll ask him for some of the names, and put them on this site later.

Their is a site on the forum "any body from shiregreen" on here I have put list of my class mates fr om beck road junior school, I am sure you will remember some of them.

Clown (private message to you on it's way)

Does anyone remember Ambrose Parker & Mick Cree who worked in the South machine shop??

Hi Vera

Was Ambrose Parker's nick name Pam? If it was I played football with him for the Works team.

Regards

Does anyone remember Harry Booth who was a Miller working in the West Machine Shop and then an iinstructor and later manager of the Training Shop at the River Don Works?

Happy Days! PopT

Hi popt i remember harry booth,his son steven worked in the training shop with me 1963/64

Hi Dave D

You mentioned Harry Booth who was a very good friend of mine.

Sadly, he died of cancer about 2 years ago.

He was one of the best.

RIP Harry, well remembered

PopT

Hi Dave D

You mentioned Harry Booth who was a very good friend of mine.

Sadly, he died of cancer about 2 years ago.

He was one of the best.

RIP Harry, well remembered

PopT

Hi popt sorry to hear that Harry passed away,must have been a good age,great bloke he had a Ariel square 4 when Steven and i were in the training shop,i went on to work in the west machine shop where my dad worked,his name was Frank Hayes.

My Brother Brian Dickinson was an apprentice Fitter at river don About 1965 66 worked there for donkeys years

My sister-inlaw worked at river do works on switchboard and reception

My dad worked in the Forge at English Steel he once got his leg trapped between 2 bogies dont know what they are apart from one thing His name was Reg Chamberlain but most people knew him as Comic and he was a great darts player

Hi, My Dad worked as a bricklayer on the furnices at English Steel, don't know which site though. He worked til about 1967 when he had to leave through ill health. He had previously worked at Baker and Bessimer Steelworks in Kilnhurst where, as a union man, he fought tooth and nail to try and keep the works open, sadly without success. He was always known as 'Tush'

My father - George Cutler - was a metallugist from pre-war to his retirement around 1970; lived in Fulwood.

my dad was Ted Higgins, he was a metallugist and leave England in 1965 to come to Canada, he passed away at the early age of 65 in 1991, any memories of him?

---------- Post added 21-02-2013 at 18:52 ----------

my grandfather was in the chemical labs during the 60s Gordon Melvin any photos out there thanks

my dad was in the chemical labs too during the 60's, he left England in 1965 to come to Canada, his name was Ted Higgins; sadly he passed away in 1991 at 65

Does anyone remember Ambrose Parker & Mick Cree who worked in the South machine shop??

I worked with Pam and Mick and also played football with Pam and if you remember Vera we also used to have some great Christmas dinner Dances which Arthur Holbrook used to organise for the South shop, Tony Naylor and his wife Lorraine and Brian Gregory and his wife also used to go. Good times