English Steel (British Steel) 1960's

Hello again this Is (Pam) Ambrose Parker Just read the above but I am intriged to find out your actual name. As you say many years have passed and would be nice to find out who you are, Merry Christmas. Hope to hear from you again.

re written with more infomation

Edited by watthaduin
re wrote it with more info

Hello again this Is (Pam) Ambrose Parker Just read the above but I am intriged to find out your actual name. As you say many years have passed and would be nice to find out who you are, Merry Christmas. Hope to hear from you again.

Hello Ambrose, do you remember someone called Frank Reeve at Norton Woodseats in the early 60s.

Hi Eason.kevin

Do you remember a Roy Pollard who worked as a Die Sinker?

Hi Dad worked in the same workshop as a Miller.

Happy Days! PopT

Hi PopT

Yes, I remember Roy Pollard. I worked in the Die Shop from 1957 to 1966. I served my apprenticeship there and worked as a miller. I used to go for a drink with Roy and his mate Barney in the Adelphi, Sycamore Street.

Hi Wombatc

Do you know if he is still living?

I've not seen him for yonks.

I hope he is alive and well.

Happy Days! PopT

Hi Wombatc

Do you know if he is still living?

I've not seen him for yonks.

I hope he is alive and well.

Happy Days! PopT

Hi PopT

I haven't seen Roy since 1966 when my wife and I moved to Australia. He'd be in his early seventies now.

By the way who was working as a miller?

Cheers

wombatc

Hi PopT

Yes, I remember Roy Pollard. I worked in the Die Shop from 1957 to 1966. I served my apprenticeship there and worked as a miller. I used to go for a drink with Roy and his mate Barney in the Adelphi, Sycamore Street.

Did a Chris Leeming and Les Ashton work in there around that time,I was in the training shop with them

Did a Chris Leeming and Les Ashton work in there around that time,I was in the training shop with them

Hi beezerboy

Don't recall those names. I went through with Trevor Wilson, Trevor Edwards and Brian Hobson. The manager when I started in 1957 was George Preskey and he was followed on retirement by Harry Daniels. There were some good people there but sadly the names have disappeared over time. Too much water under the bridge.

Cheers

wombatc

Hi Wombatc

You asked, Who was the Miller?

I know Roy's father worked in the Die Shop and I think he was a Miller.

Maybe someone else on the forum will let us know where he is.

Happy Days PopT

Edited by PopT

a relative worked in the laboratories at ESC & then BSC 40s, 50s, 60s- does anyone knowwhere they were?

a relative worked in the laboratories at ESC & then BSC 40s, 50s, 60s- does anyone knowwhere they were?

I was in R & D at ESC in the 1960's. The main R & D Labs were in the Brightside Lane Office block towards the Weedon St end. The Chemical Laboratory was a large brick building at the corner of Carlisle St & Adsetts St opposite Grimesthorpe Foundry. In 1960 the Research Superintendant was Jim Russell; some Dept Mgrs were Geoff Allan (Transformation) , Doug Liversidge (Macro), Mr Slagg (Micro) & Roy Gunstone (Welding). Ken Ridall took over as Superintendant in the late 60's. There were small Metallurgical depts of around 2 people each for Heavy Forge & Drop Forge. Graham Gillott was Drop Forge metallurgist. The R & D Labs closed some years after I left in 1967.

I have recently come across a letter written to my father, Albert Warrender by a Jim Harrop. This details his emigration to Australia and his employment in the steelworks over there. Does anyone remember him?