English Steel (British Steel) 1960's

Hello.

Did anyone work there in the 60's - especally the puch room (computer room) or the Machine Room?

Thanks

Hello.

Did anyone work there in the 60's - especally the puch room (computer room) or the Machine Room?

Thanks

Weren't there two ESC sites, Tinsley Park and River Don Works?

worked at river don works as a bar turner 3 machines on 12 hours days and nights turning bars for shells for america they were in vietnam at the time

150 tons a week for 2 years

My Grandad was a personnel officer/manager at River Don I think.

I served my apprenticeship at the ESC-- 1960/67 then left to make my way in the big bad world. Great place to work, great products,people etx.

Yes, I remember the computer room if its the one where those that worked in it were called comptometer oporators???? It was-I think- above the wages dept-second floor in the old Vickers building thro number one gate.

My wife also worked in those offices at the same time as I did.

Hey Rabbitter! We must have been ships in the night!-- Hope you are ok my old friend.!!:hihi:

Hello.

Thanks

I worked in Research Dept from 1960 to 1967. First 3 years as a trainee going round all its depts inc Drop Forge Met (noisy!) . Then got permanent job in Welding Lab which had sites both down at Brightside Lane & Grimesthorpe Foundry. I was a Works Guide too & went to works First Aid class very week for a few years.

I have lots of happy memories from those times.

John

I worked there through the 70’s. I worked in TDS – Technical Data Section, located directly below the computer room. We developed software and delivered it to computer room each afternoon to be processed overnight. The main software we developed was the ‘CRAP’ system – Computerised Routine Analysis of Performance.

John

Edited by prof_John

.flightliner

we were indeed ships in the night i enjoyed my time at english steel and learnt my trade from good machinists

when i left i helped to install a new bar turning machine in my new place of employment and worked it for 32 years

hope you and family are all well

JohnPM-- Before you could serve your apprenticeship at sixteen it was custom and practice for all new starters to have their first year working as a "dogsbody" in one dept or another- usually doing all the menial jobs that others were paid to much to do.For my sins I was put to work in the research dept preparing test pieces for you "boffs" to analyse. I worked on broken bits of Donald Campbells "Bluebird"that broke up on Salt lake flats in America(one of many). That was in 1960 and I was there until '61 when I gained a place in my chosen dept where I started my apprenticeship.My sceensaver on this computer is of one of all my workmates at a retirement ceromany taken in 1964 when I was a nineteen year old--- I often think about them and hope they are all ok.

Rabbiter--- Yes I am ok n hope you are as well,-- nice to hear from you.

My brother MIKE TURTON worked there all his life I believe, starting off in the Hollerith at Sam Fox,s Stocksbridge.........

My brother MIKE TURTON worked there all his life I believe, starting off in the Hollerith at Sam Fox,s Stocksbridge.........

What's a Hollerith?