Help to Refresh my Memory!

Ive just had a conversation with a friend in Sheffield that finished up with her insinuating that I am losing my marbles.....:help:

In about 1960 I had my tonsils out at what I think was the Royal Infirmary....

I'm convinced this was on (or near) West Street.

I've looked it up and wikepedia says its closed now and is a Tesco but WAS it on West street.:?:

Also if this is the right hospital, am I right in thinking that you could also go there for a chest x.ray as and when you wanted one and not have to have a referral from your doctor.?

It's not important, it's not a matter of life or death but.....it IS bugging me now.

Ive just had a conversation with a friend in Sheffield that finished up with her insinuating that I am losing my marbles.....:help:

In about 1960 I had my tonsils out at what I think was the Royal Infirmary....

I'm convinced this was on (or near) West Street.

I've looked it up and wikepedia says its closed now and is a Tesco but WAS it on West street.:?:

Also if this is the right hospital, am I right in thinking that you could also go there for a chest x.ray as and when you wanted one and not have to have a referral from your doctor.?

It's not important, it's not a matter of life or death but.....it IS bugging me now.

The Royal Hospital was on West Street, about half way between Fitzwilliam and Leopold Street. It was replaced by the Hallamshire.

The Infirmary, was on er Infirmary Road on the Tesco site. Many of the buildings still survive as offices. It fell into disuse around the same time as the Royal or maybe a bit before (Ithink) This was the original hospital dating from the late 1700's.

It is quite possible that you could have a chest x-ray without a referral, this was encouraged because TB was a problem. They even had mobile x-ray vans that went around the works etc.

Thank you, thank you, thank you......i'm not going doolally after all :thumbsup:

That's it PT yes and wasn't there an entrance on the street that ran down on the left of it? I remember going for an X.Ray there in 63 but my mate thought I was imagining it...I might forget what I did yesterday but not what I did forty years ago....:?: Just got the name wrong didn't I:?:

There was an xray dept on Ellen st which ran off Sidney st

also if my memory serves me right Winter st hospital was a TB hospital

Yes there was a side entance to out patients

Was that the same entrance as A & E ?

I too Joan had my tonsils removed but it was the Royal Infirmary, and it was around 1960. It was the first time I'd ever been in hospital and I was terrified. Would you believe they fed us salad after,:rolleyes: that lettuce was painful. At the same time that I was in there was a beauty Queen, and she got tubs of ice-cream brought in, oh boy did I envy her! One nurse said to me,"don't worry she'll still be eating soup in 3wks you won't" That was true, in those days you stayed in 4 days and by the time I came home I was eating normal foods.:)

Was that the same entrance as A & E ?

Yes I believe it was,you went through one section into the other, it's a long time since I was there, all I remember of the inside are lots of metal framed chairs in rows in the waiting room.