Congratulations..to William and Kate ..royal wedding 2011

It is a time when a prospective husband states his case about himself and the father can assess whether he thinks the marriage will be in the best interests of his daughter.

If he does not think it will be in the best interests of his daughter he will say no.

It was probably introduced to prevent people who were besotted with each other making a permanent arrangement and the fathers age and life experiences could see the situation with more objectivity.

The daughter can still marry the man but without her fathers consent.

OK, right. NOW I see!

I'd forgotten that. I didn't get married in a church.

I wonder how many people still really believe that the daughter belongs to her father, and is his to give away as and when he pleases; and how many don't even realise that by continuing to include that part of the ceremony, they're effectively saying that they do believe it.

The father has provided for the daughter until she marries and is handing over the resposibility to the husband

It's polite. I asked my wife's Father for permission to marry his daughter because it's the decent thing to do.

I think I will ask for dowry.

The father has provided for the daughter until she marries and is handing over the resposibility to the husband

Or possibly the mother has provided. Or possibly the daughter has provided for herself, and will be providing for her husband after the wedding - if she is not already.

It is, as I said, over a century since women were regarded as mere pieces of property that needed to be cared for because they were incapable of doing anything useful themselves. It's time that the last remnants of that belief were swept aside.

No doubt they will be breeding more parasites soon.
Hopefully they'll continue with the inbred nutter theme

Nothing wrong with traditions, even if they're now largely meaningless.

Or possibly the mother has provided. Or possibly the daughter has provided for herself, and will be providing for her husband after the wedding - if she is not already.

You are just being argumentative. I have explained why it is part of the ceremony.

It is, as I said, over a century since women were regarded as mere pieces of property that needed to be cared for because they were incapable of doing anything useful themselves. It's time that the last remnants of that belief were swept aside.

That belief if it ever existed is not in existence nowadays.

It's Catherine now. Nothing as common as 'Kate' anymore.
Oh, I thought it was Jordan

I hope that taxpayers will not be expected to pay for it considering all the cuts that ordinary people will have to endure. Biggest scroungers in the country that lot. About time we had a president in this country. It is completely stupid that our head of state rules by divine right. We should do what the French did.