NHS-cant be bothered attitude?

Your posts are terribly difficult to read without any punctuation, if you communicate with the NHS staff in a similar fashion they may not actually know what your relative needed.

As people have already said, if you complain in person to the senior sister or ward manager they have a duty to respond promptly.

having access to a telly isnt something that is classed as a life saving expense though is it?

you are correct that the fee for the telly is silly, it was on Watchdog not long ago. but the NHS is there to save your life and help you get better, not provide you with entertainment whilst you are ill. personally i ignored the telly and listened to the radio on my ipod....

it seems that the things you want are things that the NHS cannot afford - frivolities rather than necessities. the only way to get those is to pay privately.

attention to detail also has to involve the patient. when you go to your GP, you still have to tell them what is wrong before they can issue a diagnosis.

having a fully paid, fully qualified nurse doing laps of the ward all day asking if people are ok (when most are likely to say yes anyway) is a waste of money that the NHS cannot afford.

NHS Televsion charging is a direct result of privatisation, allowing private companies to enter the NHS market. They supply and fit entertainment systems and are required to make a profit on the investment. Nothing you can do about it, pay up or dont watch, its nothing to do with the NHS or the ward staff, you can blame the government (past and present).

I have friends in the US with Type 1 diabetes who cannot get insurance and have to beg drug companies and charities for the insulin they need to stay alive. They get no preventative healthcare to avoid the complications of diabetes. The fear of being ill, and needing treatment, and facing bankruptcy to pay their medical bills dominates their lives. The NHS has its flaws but we get a lot for our money.

that is shocking!

NHS Televsion charging is a direct result of privatisation, allowing private companies to enter the NHS market. They supply and fit entertainment systems and are required to make a profit on the investment. Nothing you can do about it, pay up or dont watch, its nothing to do with the NHS or the ward staff, you can blame the government (past and present).

thats what it said on Watchdog the other week when they investigated the charges. also pointed out that the companies that run them are making hideous losses from it.

i'd imagine that the government could pull some strings to get the televisions a little cheaper (hundreds of thousands of TV's for each bed in each hospital would still cost millions though?) and get the BBC to waive the TV licence fee for hospitals, but the ongoing maintanence costs would be unfeasable when the same money could be better spent elsewhere.

i just think the NHS is there to save my life when i need them to and help me get better thereafter, which they have and are doing admirably.

if i want to listen to music, i can buy a radio. im not in a hotel, after all.

thats what it said on Watchdog the other week when they investigated the charges. also pointed out that the companies that run them are making hideous losses from it.

i'd imagine that the government could pull some strings to get the televisions a little cheaper (hundreds of thousands of TV's for each bed in each hospital would still cost millions though?) and get the BBC to waive the TV licence fee for hospitals, but the ongoing maintanence costs would be unfeasable when the same money could be better spent elsewhere.

i just think the NHS is there to save my life when i need them to and help me get better thereafter, which they have and are doing admirably.

if i want to listen to music, i can buy a radio. im not in a hotel, after all.

Do they still have Day rooms with free TV's in in hospitals?

When my OH went into hospital he couldn't get a signal on his DAB radio - just some white noise.

As someone who has a very close friend who recently re-joined the NHS I can tell you a couple of things regarding being sent home etc.

Ok we've all seen recently that apparently many front line NHS nurses are at risk of the cut this year, however what they fail to tell you is that these are being replaced by new teams of staff in order to help save the NHS mass amounts of money per annum as well as most importantly offer the best levels of after-care to a patient.

In the past the NHS have lost mass amounts of money per annum through sending people home to free up beds only to have them re-admitted shortly afterwards, this has never been through neglect as such, but merely because the right levels of after care have not been in provision to take over upon leaving hospital to ensure the patients are ok and improving etc.

In 2010 however extra measures are being brought into place, patients are being assessed in much more depth to ensure that they have the right provisions in place to allow the to leave the hospital, new teams are on hand to explain what a patient should do upon getting back home, as well as pharmacy teams visitting patients on an individual basis to ensure the patient are fully aware of how to use any medications they might have to take upon leaving hospital.

Fact: If the doctor on the ward didn't deem your gran well enough to go home he wouldn't have allowed it to happen, after an in-depth assessment the doctor will have come to the verdict that you gran has improved to a level where it is safe for her to go home and finish off her getting better in a much more comfortable environment.

As for the blanket issue........I can't help but feel that this has been blown a bit out of proportion due to the anger of you feeling your gran isn't ready to go home yet.

Never the less I don't want to sound bad im just trying to explain the facts, you just need to think where we would be without the expertise work of the NHS.........anyway hope your nan makes a full speedy recovery

Do they still have Day rooms with free TV's in in hospitals?

When my OH went into hospital he couldn't get a signal on his DAB radio - just some white noise.

i dont know, to be honest. i was never mobile enough to be able to get to a day room! it wouldnt surprise me if they dont, i'd bet the people who supply the bedside TVs would have put the scuppers on that...

i was on the top floor of a building at the northern right next to a window, so had no problem with reception! might depend on where you are in the hospital, i guess?

It is, and it makes me angry that people have to suffer like that. Reading something like this http://www.diabetesdaily.com/edelman/2010/08/uninsured-with-diabetes.php really makes me feel proud to live in a country that provides vital medical care to all.

makes me think that if i lived there, even if i'd had the insurance to pay out for my recovery i bet that the next lot of premiums would rise massively because i was now be classed as a 'greater risk' of costing them more money.

i honestly find it disgusting that a monetary value can be placed on a human life in that way. :loopy:

edit: some of the comments on that link are heartbreaking. after all the comments about the cheapest places to buy medication and insurance policies, one person succintly wrote - "we dont need insurance, we need healthcare". its astounding that this can go on in America.

Edited by watchcoll
added more

i just think the level of care is unaceptable, there should be more attention to detail on what the patient's feel & to make sure they are cared for in the right manor, i dont think you should have to pay to watch there telly's either shouldnt everyone have the right to take their mind off everything that is happening to them and have abit of normality for (FREE?)

The NHS doesn't make a penny from the "pay to watch" TVs, they are installed and operated by a private company. This system was imposed upon the NHS by the previous government. It has often be noted that whist every bed will have a TV next to it, it may not have potentially life saving oxygen and suction equipment.

More often than not, staying in hospital for a lengthy amount of time is more detrimental to a patient's health than sending them home to complete their recovery. It is true that if active treatment has finished, going home is a much better option in order to avoid the risk of developing chest infections etc. In a place which deals with poorly people, it is an unfortunate fact that despite universal precautions, risk of infection is going to be higher than if a person is in their own home. If the OP feels that their nan is not going to be safe at home for whatever reason, they need to raise it with ward staff who I'm sure will offer a full explanation as to why the medical team feel that discharge is the best option. Or indeed get the relevant therapy services involved to ensure that from a social, rather than medical perspective, your nan has a safe discharge. The taxpayers' money only stretches so far and I personally feel that frontline NHS staff do the best that they can under such difficult circumstances.

Nobody would argue with that, but the reason it does not happen is not because the staff who are there, don't care or can't be bothered; it happens because there just aren't enough staff. It's not physically possible for the ones who are there, to give the level of care that should be given.

I don't agree with this. I was in hospital recently after giving birth and the care on the postnatal ward was poor and it was all mainly down to one individual who couldn't be bothered to do her job, her attitude stunk and she was sarcastic the one time she could be bothered to talk rather than the grunting she seemed to do.

I saw quite a few NHS members of staff during the 3 days I was there, including theatre staff and most of them were very caring, and I haven't got a wrong word to say about them.

But this one person, who was in charge of looking after me is the only person I really remember because of her horrible couldn't care less attitude. I have complained to the hospital in writing, and I'm waiting to hear back from them. This person should not be in the job if they don't want to look after people, as it's a major part of the job and a caring attitude and compassion is something that I feel you need in these jobs.

Edited by doodle