Motorbike / motorcycle test

why do direct access just do the 125cc test and after 2year you can ride any bike you want to legally obviously jumping on a 125 for 2 years then on to a suzuki 1100 gsxr

isnt really a wise move unless you dont value your life are others

there is plenty of decent 125's its alot better to ride one for 2yr than to go straight onto a rocket and lose your legs all depends how quick he wants a big bike if he as kids i would say get a smaller bike untill you get some experience under yr belt

I took a direct access course with Bikesafe at Owlerton and was highly delighted with the style of tuition used by these guys. Ihad ridden a motorcycle in my youth but had not been on one for over 30 years and with help from Bikesafe I passed my mod 1 & mod2 first time. It is quite expensive to do direct access but I wanted to take a pillion and needed to get a larger bike so you makes your choice and pays your money but I would definately recommend them.

can anyone tell me why they would not use owlerton?

Hear a lot of bad stuff about them but from personal experience;

General crap practice and attitude in my eyes, teach 'em to pass the test and nothing more.

While I was there I saw a bloke crash his bike and they didn't bother to check it over, just expected him to jump back on and keep up. Remember a young lass being told to ride a foot out from the curb as they do tell you to ride on your test (or did then) she said "my dad says ride out near the middle of the road" bloke responded to this with "well your dad's not sat here wearing the high-viz vest is he" !

I don't know if it was just a bad joke or whether he was that much of an ar5e but in my opinion at the very least he should have explained why he was asking her to ride near the gutter.

They also take a lot of pupils out per one instructor - since leaving them I've never had anything but one on one.

And to boot- they're expensive.

Edited by Dave650

there is plenty of decent 125's its alot better to ride one for 2yr than to go straight onto a rocket and lose your legs all depends how quick he wants a big bike if he as kids i would say get a smaller bike untill you get some experience under yr belt

Strange, I did DAS and both my legs are still attached.

I wouldn't recommend Bikesafe either as they got rid of one of the instructors when she became pregnant.

why do direct access just do the 125cc test and after 2year you can ride any bike you want to legally obviously jumping on a 125 for 2 years then on to a suzuki 1100 gsxr

isnt really a wise move unless you dont value your life are others

I`m not sure where you got your info but riding a 125 for 2 yrs does NOT entitle you to ride any cc motorcycle after that period !!!

After passing your cbt your allowed to ride a 125cc for a period of upto 2 yrs on a provisional licence will L plates but you must take and pass your mororcycle test within this period .... as far as i`m aware ..... I took the direct access route myself with bikesure behind the Magna ... took my cbt & my bike test within 8 days .... tuition was great and passed both first time ..... cost approx £600

Edited by dale1966
more info

I think by "125cc test" he means A2 test

I`m not sure where you got your info but riding a 125 for 2 yrs does NOT entitle you to ride any cc motorcycle after that period !!!

After passing your cbt your allowed to ride a 125cc for a period of upto 2 yrs on a provisional licence will L plates but you must take and pass your mororcycle test within this period .... as far as i`m aware ..... I took the direct access route myself with bikesure behind the Magna ... took my cbt & my bike test within 8 days .... tuition was great and passed both first time ..... cost approx £600

Erm, it does if you do your test on a restricted bike. The routes are:

CBT -> Ride as a learner -> Direct Access -> Ride any bike!

CBT -> Ride as a learner -> Standard Test -> Ride any bike no more than 125cc capacity -> Wait two years -> Ride any bike!

CBT -> Ride as a learner -> Standard Test -> Ride any bike no more than 125cc capacity -> Accelerated Access -> Ride any bike

I'm not sure what the point of accelerated access is; I guess it fills the niche for those that did the standard test and then realise they should have gone for DAS, or they need a big bike, or "just 'cos" :-)

All the details are here on direct.gov.

The guy is right, 125 test then unrestricted after 2 years. Claiming a direct access us a bad idea is just silly, I did mine 4 years ago, bought a race spec r6 and I am still fine. All about being mature on it. Went to owlerton for my cbt before full direct access. Was quoted £500 soon as we did cbt price went up £200 each. So went to atb. Nigel is a cheeky character but a laugh and very good. Also at owlerton saw some 1 come off and they didn't seem to care.

if you pass your 125cc bike test after 2yrs you can ride any bike you want to fact mate

if you pass your 125cc bike test after 2yrs you can ride any bike you want to fact mate

Just to clear up any confusion:

If you have a provisional licence or full car licence you can do a CBT, this is compulsory basic training this allows you to ride a bike of upto 125cc (if you're aged 17+) as far as I'm aware all routes to a bike licence include this as it's compulsory - also note the T stands for training not test. You must renew your CBT every 2 years, unless you have gone on to pass a motorcycle test. Whilst riding on just a CBT you must display L plates and cannot carry pillion passengers*.

Your options are now:

A1 (light or 125cc bike test) - this is essentially a stupid option but once passed you can tear up your L plates, carry passengers and ride that 125 forever more.

A - This is the standard bike test, once passed you can ride ANY motorcycle you want...however for the first two years the bike must be restricted to a power output of no more than 33bhp. (Or you can buy a bike that's power doesn't exceed this from the factory i.e a 125cc, 250cc etc.)

DAS - Providing you're over 21 years old you can opt for the direct access scheme - when you pass this test you can jump straight on a full power gsxr 1000 and giggle your tits off.

Before doing any of the motorcycle tests you have to first complete a theory test. If you've done one for a car test in the last 10 years then you'll feel thoroughly ripped off as the questions are pretty much the same bar a few (if you're lucky) noddy 'motorcycle' related ones (i.e "a biker has crashed do you a)check his airways b)stamp on his face to see if he's alive")

Some test centres try to push everyone eligible through DAS as it makes them more money, if you're happy to be restricted to 33bhp for a couple of years then it can be a much more economic option.

*unless you passed your car test pre 1990 and are riding up to a 50cc bike...or something like that.

Edited by Dave650