The waxwings are here!!

Will have to keep an eye out for them when we walk up to S10 later!!

OH saw a Heron by the river on Rivelin Road this week, might have to pop down there too to see if we can spot any more :)

I'll be looking out for them around Walkley and along Hanover Way and near Waitrose and Staples car park where I've seen them in years past.

I remember about 5 years ago there was a massive eruption of them and they were all over the roofs and chimneys of the maisonettes around Brook Hill roundabout.

Hi Taxman, I remember that year too. My garden was "alive" with them. There must have been over a hundred of them turning everything over and searching for food...it was just a sea of movement.

30 or 40 of them flying and settling on the telephone wires on Lister avenue S12 yesterday.Nice little birds.

Dear Reesh

Could you email me some of your waxwing photos???

Thanks

Saw a decent flock in Woodthorpe on Monday morning, l even got some photos too, first time l've seen them here. Mind you early in spring l saw a pair of Goldfinches here too, first time ever!

I was watching the news today when it showed some of these beauties.

Can you tell me if it is possible that a pair of these could have been here throughout the year? I live in woodland and noticed a striking bird I’d never seen before and have spotted them quite often since. I have looked at lots of photos, it was definitely not a Jay and I’m certain it was a Waxwing, but according to the info I have read the experts seem to think not. :suspect:

I've finally seen some - my first ever!! There were a good hundred of them on the Walkley side of Hillsborough on Saturday. We saw them on the way down and on the way back.

Naturally, they'd all gone when we went back with cameras... :D

I was watching the news today when it showed some of these beauties.

Can you tell me if it is possible that a pair of these could have been here throughout the year? I live in woodland and noticed a striking bird I’d never seen before and have spotted them quite often since. I have looked at lots of photos, it was definitely not a Jay and I’m certain it was a Waxwing, but according to the info I have read the experts seem to think not. :suspect:

Never heard of them over summering - They breed in the dense taiga forest of Northern Europe using old stunted conifers to nest in. In the Winter they then change their diet to Winter berries, mainly Rowen and this is when a poor crop in Europe will see them erupt to different, more temperate countries like Britain seeking better supplies.

Can't imagine what you may have seen :confused:

I live in woodland and noticed a striking bird I’d never seen before and have spotted them quite often since. I have looked at lots of photos, it was definitely not a Jay and I’m certain it was a Waxwing, but according to the info I have read the experts seem to think not. :suspect:

Might it have been a green woodpecker? Try having a look at some photos of those.

Flock seen in Binstead area of Wadsley Bridge a week or so back

Has anyone seen any around Mosborough and Halfway? Someone told me they have been spotted in gardens near the cemetery and near Duke street this year.

There was a flock of about 25 in a tree in Waitrose car park this lunchtime with a larger flock of about 50 circling overhead.

Edited by taxman

approx 40 on Charnock Drive yesterday at 12.30pm.