Sign in to follow this  

Nick Margerrison on Hallam FM

Well said. Nicks great the shows great. I'm totally addicted to his show. If i turn it of to go to sleep i'm wondering what is happening, so i make sure i get plenty of sleep so i dont miss 1 minute of it.

Love, HallamFmFAN :banana:

LONG LIVE THE NICHOLARSE

Don't know if any of you heard it, but they talked about these very own SheffieldForum.co.uk on the show last night!

-Paul-

Guest Pauly
Originally posted by HallamFmFAN

Well said. Nicks great the shows great. I'm totally addicted to his show. If i turn it of to go to sleep i'm wondering what is happening, so i make sure i get plenty of sleep so i dont miss 1 minute of it.

LONG LIVE THE NICHOLARSE

I think I'd call that 'blind support'. I'm willing to bet that if Nick's show became mind numbingly boring and his ratings dropped through the floor that this potential stalker here would still be drooling over the radio between 10pm-1am. I'd watch yourself with this one Nick. :loopy:

Ha ha ha!!! Pauly-Plumba i'm not that mad. I just think the shows great and that the presenter (Nick) just tells it how it is, instead of just agreeing with everyone. The fact that Nick doesn't do that makes the show interesting.

so...in a nutshell then...

Bring back Mark Meadowcroft.

;)

I have to say ive grown to tolerate nick M. At first i wasnt very open minded but after listening to him a bit more he does make valid points and argues them fairly well- he even managed to open my mind on the fox hunting debate. If all the listeners were of an average IQ or above the show would be pretty good and it may even replace evening TV (on a rubbish TV night obv) for me. As it is there are too many thick people who dont realise theres a radio delay or just hang up after saying something stupid.

Originally posted by kittykat

If all the listeners were of an average IQ or above the show would be pretty good and it may even replace evening TV (on a rubbish TV night obv) for me. As it is there are too many thick people who dont realise theres a radio delay or just hang up after saying something stupid.

Did you know 50% of the population have an IQ below average? It's an outrage. Something should be done. I'm going to write to my MP.

Nomme

(For those of you with an IQ below average the above is a joke)

The common phrase regarding HallamFM is:

"Most of the listeners have an IQ lower than the frequency" :lol:

Originally posted by RPG

The common phrase regarding HallamFM is:

"Most of the listeners have an IQ lower than the frequency" :lol:

I had much the same thought about Radio 2 - Their target age group is the same as their frequency.

Never ever have I come across such appalling snobbery

Several of you ought to be mightily ashamed of yourselves

Item 1. The listening audience for Hallam FM is not likely to be particularly "posh" or "intellectual". Those kind of folks will be listening to BBC stations in general, local ones or Radio 4 or Radio 3 etc. They wont want to hear the adverts or the type of pop music playing.

The target audience for Hallam FM is probably young people AND working class people, C2s etc.

I am not being controversial here, I am just stating facts about the market share. This is information is probably freely available from HallamFM as it helps advertisers decide where to place their adverts.

That being the case, it is ridiculous to object to those kinds of people phoning up and talking to the presenters.

Item 2. I think it has been mentioned on another thread but there is a book by Bill Bryson called, I think, Mother Tongue which is about the development of the English language. He makes it clear that language in in flux all the time, not this fixed thing you think.

Frankly Nick, you sound like an ignorant snob to me and not very well educated. Clearly you cant be all that marvellous otherwise you would have become a lawyer or a surgeon, just like they are in Eccleshall. I wouldnt listen to your programme because I am one of those Radio4 listeners, but I bet I will think you have an accent if I tune in!!

Frankly if I had been a listener, I would now be turning you off because you clearly have no respect for your listeners. Oh I dont mean the "cutting people off" thing, that is a borrowed gimmick as anybody over the age of about 35 will remember. And yet Nick, where would you be without those listeners? On the dole mate, mixing with "common" people!

You obviously havent been listening to the show! They dont ring up to talk they ring up to be silly - to say a silly word or profanity, giggle and slam the phone down. Yes i do object to these people ringing as it spoils it for the rest of the people who listen and im not being snobby by calling them thick as they quite obviously are if they cant hold a proper conversation.

If this is the target audience then why bother having a chat show with topics of debate why not play the usual senseless dance, trance and pop they insist on playing.

Guest Pauly

I've been listening to the show on and off over the last couple of weeks, more since this debate started, and I have to say that although there is the occasional prank caller the show is not littered with them as others are making out and some people do put forward valid opinions.

The other night's show, I think it was Monday or Tuesday night, was a great show discussing Little Mo's predicament on Eastenders. For those of you who don't watch she's been raped and after finding herself pregnant has decided to keep the baby, although her husband Billy is dead against it. Ok this isn't real life but they were discussing the situation and people's views on it if they were put in the same position. There were some really good calls in that night, the best one being second to last where a woman forced Nick to change his own personal opinion that he had been resolutely standing by all the way through the show.

It isn't like this every night of course but nobody can guarantee a good show every night and if you're predjudiced by a person's 'common' accent or something then this isn't really the show for you anyway.