What do I do with Oxtail?

I'm not much of a cook but impulse bought some oxtail. Now I don't know what to do with it! How do I turn it into soup or stew? Step by step instructions would be most helpful!

Edited by InBlack
grammer

I'm not much of a cook but impulse bought some oxtail. Now I don't know what to do with it! How do I turn it into soup or stew? Step by step instructions would be most helpful!

I like the look of this recipe, mainly due to the presence of Rioja :D

As the recipe posted indicates it is better cooked one day then eaten the next.

Few carrots, onions couple of bayleaves, 2 or 3 celery sticks in a big pan with the oxtail, cover with water & either oven cook (quite low temperature, just simmering) or low heat on the hob for a couple of hours at least. NIce big heavy cast iron casserole/pot.

In fridge over night then skim off the fat. At this stage if you want you can take the meat off the bones and mash up/puree all the veg that you cooked with it before adding back to the cooking liquor, this will be like jelly by now and may need warming to make the job easier. Leave on the bone if you can cope with people sucking the bones to get the marrow out of the middle!!

At this stage you could add a splash of wine, dash of tom puree, and check the seasoning. Serve with jacket spuds (plenty of butter) and some green cabbage.

Absolutely delicious.

Chop the oxtail into big bite chunks and put them into a bowl.

Cover the meat with Guiness and a dash of port, add a spoonfull of your favourite herb flavours - then marinate overnight in the fridge. Put a plate over the meat to make sure it's under the liquid.

next day

Drain the meat - but retain the juices, pat the meat dry with a kitchen towel and then fry quickly on a high heat to seal the juices in.

Fry a big onion and a clove or garlic. Add the meat back to the pan.

Add chopped mushrooms.

Throw in a couple of spoons of flour and stir until all the moisture is absorbed and the flour has mixed in. This flour will thicken your gravy.

Add the guiness stock and bring up to a simmer.

Now throw the whole casserole into an oven proof dish and cook for 4 hours at 180 degrees C. Or, a slow cooker on high for an hour and 3 hours on medium.

Serve with mashed potatoes.

Am I the only one who has never bought Ox tail - I think it's grossly over priced - Like it yes, but I won't pay the price.

Might try 123456A's recipe though, sounds outstanding.

I love it!. I roll it in flour, fry to seal it, add onions, mushrooms, celery, chunky carrots,pearl barley, stock, salt and pepper. Put into slow cooker and cook for about 8-12 hours. You know when it is cooked, the meat just falls off the bone. I allow it to go cold and then remove all the bones. It is wonderful!!!

Where can I buy oxtail in Sheffield?

Most of the butchers in Castle Market sell it. I recommend Buntings by the way....

Having said that I've seen it quite a bit in a lot of the supermarkets, including Sainsburys on the Moor.

Try this recipe. It is a long standing family one.

Shin Beef & Ox Tail Casserole

500 gm Shin Beef Cubed

800 gm Ox Tail (with bone in)

320/325 gm Sliced Carrots

1 Finely Diced Onion ~ 140/150 gm

250 ml Full Bodied Red Wine

(Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot Blend)

1 Tablespoon Plain Flour

500 ml Beef Stock

(! Knorr Beef Stock Pot to 500 ml Hot Water)

1 Knorr Herb Stock Pot

1 Tablespoon of Tomato Paste

(Dissolve in some of the Beef Stock)

Sliced Mushrooms

Vegetable Oil ~ 2 Tablespoons

Sea Salt & Black Ground Pepper.

Cube the Shin Beef into portions about 1.5 to 2.0 cm size and brown in about 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil, or light olive oil. When browned transfer to a plate. Add the onions to the same pan, plus a little more oil if needed, and soften the onions for a few minutes. Sprinkle the flour over the onions and mix to form a paste with the onions. Cook on a gentle heat for a couple of minutes, then raise the hob temperature, and add the wine, and stir to boil off the alcohol and thicken the liquid in the pan. Add about half of the beef stock and the tomato paste, previously mixed with a little stock to allow it to mix more easily. Transfer the stock and wine to a casserole dish, or a slow cooker, and then add the carrots, the ox tail pieces and finally the shin beef. Adjust the liquid level to just cover the ingredients and add ½ teaspoon salt and a good pinch of black pepper. Then either put the slow cooker on high for about 1 hour, or put the casserole dish in the oven at 160’C (Gas Mark 3) and allow to cook for about 2 hours. Then add the sliced mushrooms and continue cooking for: a) Slow Cooker about 5 hours on slow cook, or b) Oven at 160’C (Gas Mark 3) for another 3 hours. Check the ox tail to see if the meat is coming off the bones and the beef is cooked through. If the meat and oxtail are cooked then allow the casserole to stand overnight, preferably in a refrigerator, and then remove any fat the following morning.

The casserole can be kept in the refrigerator for a couple of days before reheating it ready to serve. In the case of the casserole which has been cooked in a slow cooker, once the casserole is cool enough to handle transfer the casserole to a suitable glass casserole dish ready for reheating. DON’T TRY REHEATING THE CASSEROLE IN THE SLOW COOKER POT.  The slow cooker pot isn’t made for reheating food only for preparing it.  Adjust the seasoning while reheating .Serve with mashed potatoes and a Yorkshire pudding if wanted.  .

Once stewed oxtail with carrots and onions and stirred some pasta (rigatoni) into it.  It was great

Oxtail is also great for making mulligatawny soup. Just stew it as per any of the recipes above, allow to cool, skim off the fat and shred the meat off the bones. Reserve the stock and vegetables.  Marinate the shredded meat overnight  in the curry paste of your choice then gently fry it with some minced garlic, finely chopped hot chilli and minced fresh ginger, until lightly browned. Then puree the stock and vegetables with a stick blender and add it to the meat/ginger/garlic/chilli mixture,  a ladleful at a time. Simmer gently for about 45 minutes - add more water, a bit at a time , and stir in until you get your required consistency. It's best left overnight, to allow all the curry flavours to develop - then re-heated. Serve with naan bread, roti, paratha or  chapati's .

I like my mulligatawny really hot and fiery, so I use hot curry paste and loads of fresh chilli- but if you prefer it milder, just use milder curry paste and go easy on the chilli.