Smokers in pub and company door ways.

Last night I went for a bar meal at the Chequers at Coal Aston. The pub has a long entrace hall that stretches around 20 feet into the bar. On arriving there were 6 smokers in the hallway and we had to push past to get into the pub.

There were also several large signs where the smokers were congregated stating that no smoking was allowed, but this was obviously being ignored by both the smokers and the pub staff.

Correct me if I am wrong here, but isn't that hallway classed as an enclosed public space as it has walls on both sides, doors on both ends and a roof. It just seems strange that the pub is being so lax enforcing the rules as it could result in a very hefty fine. Not only that the smell of smoke was heavy in the hallway and pervaded the dining area. It also gave a pretty poor impression of the place.

This is not just isolated to pubs. Businesses too often have staff smoking in the main entrance giving a very poor impression to visitors and customers. Why do these places not enforce the rules?

It is very silly to allow this to go on. Fines of £2500 can be imposed for allowing smoking, but more seriously those fined have usually lost the tenancy for bringing the pubco's name into disrepute. The smokers themselves usually get away with a £50 on the spot fine.

Last night I went for a bar meal at the Chequers at Coal Aston. The pub has a long entrace hall that stretches around 20 feet into the bar. On arriving there were 6 smokers in the hallway and we had to push past to get into the pub.

There were also several large signs where the smokers were congregated stating that no smoking was allowed, but this was obviously being ignored by both the smokers and the pub staff.

Correct me if I am wrong here, but isn't that hallway classed as an enclosed public space as it has walls on both sides, doors on both ends and a roof. It just seems strange that the pub is being so lax enforcing the rules as it could result in a very hefty fine. Not only that the smell of smoke was heavy in the hallway and pervaded the dining area. It also gave a pretty poor impression of the place.

This is not just isolated to pubs. Businesses too often have staff smoking in the main entrance giving a very poor impression to visitors and customers. Why do these places not enforce the rules?

Did you complain? I would have.

Stones for sale :hihi: The outdoors are for the smoker now so the indoors stay smoke free.. get a life and stop renting one.... smokers have rights too.. :huh:

Smokers pay £1000s in tax and die younger, have a bit of respect.

Smokers pay £1000s in tax and die younger, have a bit of respect.

And cost the NHS millions...

And cost the NHS millions...

Not as much as the tax dodging dole claiming benefit gits though ...

Not as much as the tax dodging dole claiming benefit gits though ...

Different subject!

Different subject!

I beg to differ !! They smoke imported baccy that is cheaper than the corporate equivalent but contains more iso cyanates than yer usual taxable poison. therefore benefit fiddling git bags that are poisoning our atmosphere too with low grade nicotine products... Line them up against a wall and shoot em I say ...

Extract taken from the Daily Mail........ :D

I beg to differ !! They smoke imported baccy that is cheaper than the corporate equivalent but contains more iso cyanates than yer usual taxable poison. therefore benefit fiddling git bags that are poisoning our atmosphere too with low grade nicotine products... Line them up against a wall and shoot em I say ...

Extract taken from the Daily Mail........ :D

Most of the dodgey baccy peddlers i've known have all been workers...

I smoke in bus stops and stub out on the nazi sign.

I smoke in bus stops and stub out on the nazi sign.

Ostendo primo conditionem hominum extra societatem civilem (quam conditionem appellare liceat statum naturae) aliam non esse quam bellum omnium contra omnes; atque in eo bello jus esse omnibus in omnia

I show in the first place that the state of men without civil society (which state may be called the state of nature) is nothing but a war of all against all; and that in that war, all have a right to all things.

You sound triumphantly disrespectful!

Edited by spooky3
To indicate current signature