Hole In The Road Thread with Pics

Enjoyed looking at the photo's. That's the Sheffield that I remember. Reading through some of these threads, I wouldn't recognise it now.

I was abroad when the hole was put there in the first place returning in 1964. My mother, when telling me about it, said she felt like a mole when she was down there and always wondered which subway she should use to get to where she wanted to be. I remember standing in the centre and looking up to get my bearings.

I was very impressed when I saw it and thought it an excellent idea and it WAS great when it was raining.

Such a shame it's gone now but it did look a bit of a sight in the last photos..I agree probably by design more than anything.

:(

thanks for the pics i remember playing carols at the fish tank with newfield school band every christmas

Originally posted by BoroughGal

I think it was deliberately run down and left neglected, so that there would be as little objection as possible when the time came.

this happened at kelvin flats: work quietly stopped on the renovation about a year before the decision to demolish!

:)

(another photo of t'oil in rooad on my www below)

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b171/sheffieldarchives/HOLEINTHEROAD.jpg

thanks for the pic's, but also wish I hadn't seen them..My Dad worked on building the hole in the road, I used to go to Thornton's chocolate cabin, which was down there..I'm sort of glad that I left England when I did, I would have hated seeing them fill it in...Soooo sad

Originally posted by Trever

Some pictures taken from 1993-94 of the hole in the road.

Fishtank

Hole in road

Escalator1

Escalator2

Fill in 1

Fill in 2

Fill in 3

Fill in 4

I was missing my fix of the old Hole in the Road, so I got my shovel out yesterday, had a qick dig about, found some old buses, roped in a few passing strangers, suitably dressed of course and hey presto.

http://www.vidiLife.com/reloc.cfm?cryp=010-25E9891F-9630-4995-B7E4-A

You can just see me fiddling in the fish tank on the extreme right.

Sadly its now filled back in.

I have been told that there used to be some sort of shopping area, around where is now HMV/Boots/Cathedral... which was filled in before the trams got put back in (around 1995?) Apparently you could see the sky from it, but it was lower than the normal street level. Sounds all very intriguing.. surely anyone who's lived here since before 95 or so should know whether it's true or not? :confused:

Do you mean the hole in the road !!!!!! it even had fish and hobos living in it:suspect:

Um.. well i don't know. Did this hole have shops it in? It might all just be that I have been lied to, but apparently it was just sort of a big hole with shops in... dunno how people didn't fall into it etc.? Any pics?

i think you mean the hole in the road as everybody called it. it was a small underground with a few shops and a large fishtank set in the wall ...... your not missing a lot it was usually full of drunks and tramps and stank of pee

As a kid I used to love descending the stairs into the labyrinth that was the hole in the road! I don't think I ever managed to exit via the stairs that I wanted!

Sounds amazing.. and weird... why was it underground? Did it lead anywhere. Do you think it's still there under the ground/tram lines. Are there any pictures of it anywhere?