Hole In The Road Thread with Pics

I remember the Hole In The Road Well. I used to work in an office block in the early 80´s and the view from my window was the Hole In The Road.:)

I was just daydreaming and I suddenly remembered the 'HOLE IN MY ROAD'. Does anyone else remember this? It was near where that horrible cheap shop is now and also it is fairly close to some other shops. You can get off the tram there. It's called Castle Square.

Anyway, when I was a child I'd go there (HOLE IN MY ROAD) and then it got filled in.

My question is where did all the fish go?

I was just daydreaming and I suddenly remembered the 'HOLE IN MY ROAD'. Does anyone else remember this? It was near where that horrible cheap shop is now and also it is fairly close to some other shops. You can get off the tram there. It's called Castle Square.

Anyway, when I was a child I'd go there (HOLE IN MY ROAD) and then it got filled in.

local chippy

It was 'The Hole in the Road'. The hole in my road is a pothole:D.

It's not your road. It's MY road. How dare you to claim it is your road.

For your information, they're in my pond having babies about now. :cool:

It's not your road. It's MY road. How dare you to claim it is your road.

For your information, they're in my pond having babies about now. :cool:

What? That's just the name of the site. It used to be called "THERE IS A HOLE IN MY ROAD". That's just the name of it. I don't understand your point though cos I've not tried to stop you saying its your road. It is your road, just as it is mine. But the hole isn't there now and the fishes are missing.

The fish went in to a tank in bennets fishing tackle shop on the wicker.

I was told they were on loan only but Bennets bought them, he had them on display and one day the tank exploded and you can imagine the damage it did.

I got this info from my partner who was working on the shop at the time it happened

I was amazed that nobody managed to break the glass of that fish tank.

They were big tropical fish in that tank, if memory serves. I could be wrong, though.

---------- Post added 24-01-2014 at 23:04 ----------

Just found this pic on't interweb....

http://www.nfa.dept.shef.ac.uk/images/jung-hole03.jpg

My wife worked at Bennetts briefly, there was an evil old crone that played hell at her because she was minute late back from her lunch break! She didn't go back there ;)

Biggsy :)

Remember the "Hole in the road"very well it was a good idea at first built so you could cross the busy intersection safely,going towards High St. there was an escalator up to street level!.In only a few years it deteriorated the bench in front of the fish tank was occupied by street drinkers knocking back meths and cheap cider.One memory then was of streams of urine emanating across the floor from them making the place somewhere to avoid,I could never understand why the powers that be used to tolerate them there and the Town Hall area in those days,one day walking past the Town Hall the wife and I saw a whino urinating through the wrought iron gates on the steps in broad daylight in full view of women and children passing by,disgusting,this was in the 60s!.