Hole In The Road Thread with Pics

Interesting. I would say that 1993-95 (approximately anyway) was Sheffield city centre's very lowest ebb, probably since the war. It felt as though it was dying a little more each day - I think it was even worse than during the ravages of the eighties in terms of number of empty units and general condition of the buildings. The vibes coming off those photos seem to confirm my feelings from the time.

Originally posted by deelightful3

is it just me or can anyone else see the face at the bottom of the picture on escalator 1,freaky.

I noticed it too... with a fag hanging out the mouth... looks like a pic to me... couldnt really work it out if it should be there or not... or if its just the way the pic is taken... freaky like you say :?

Thanks, some great pics, Strix...

Hey! A poet & I don't know it!

Stepping through the album from the Firth Park Grammar site brought back many old memories... No, not from the pics taken in the early 1900's either!... Before somebody says it! :D

nice pics. can almost smell it!!

also, 93 - 95 was a bad time. i was on t'dole then and used to go thru hitr everyday and stare at them 3d posters that some bloke was selling. managed to figure em out before they filled it in though!

Is it true that they filled the hole in the road in by using the concrete from the Hyde Park flats?

Originally posted by Trever

Some pictures taken from 1993-94 of the hole in the road.

Fishtank

Hole in road

Escalator1

Escalator2

Fill in 1

Fill in 2

Fill in 3

Fill in 4

I see Frankenstein's monster's face in this photo.

Escalator1

Do I get a prize??

I liked the idea of the Hole,and for several years it was packed with people walking through it. I also thought it was something unique and distinctive and would like to of seen it up-graded and improved rather than being filled in. Trying to figure out the road and tram layout that is there now is sometimes very difficult for older people or people with disabilities so a big boo to whichever department decided on it's fate and decided wrongly.

Originally posted by deelightful3

is it just me or can anyone else see the face at the bottom of the picture on escalator 1,freaky.

im odd i can see it too

Brilliant pics! I've often tried to explain to my girlfriend what the hole in the road was like but I don't think she can picture it, now I can show her. :D

Pleasant trip down memory lane for me too.

Some great photographs Trever.

The Hole In The Road brings back a whole load of mixed emotions for me.

When I pass the area these days, I always think that it was better with THITR, with the fishtank, underground entrance to shops, etc. And now it's just a tram stop.

But a little more thought reminds me of what it was really like, especially towards the end.

Towards the end it became very run down and seemed to be frequented by intimidating drunks. And it stank too, from what I remember.

For such places to be half decent, I suppose the cost is huge, and when it was mooted that it might be filled in, it was allowed to degenerate comlpletely.

I remember the last time I went through it, with my young son, we practically had to run. It was that bad!

Was each resident of Sheffield given the chance to deposit a personal belonging into the hole as it was filled, or is that just my memory playing tricks?