Hole In The Road Thread with Pics

i remember going there with my Mum and Nan always used to get an ice cream and watch the fishes - it makes me sad and angry that it has gone.

The famous ' Hole in the road' what if stayed and was not filled in would it have made Sheffield another tourist attraction or drunks Paradise me thinks the latter?

In an ideal world...it would have been cleaned up, made safe to walk through, closed completely at night, tram re-routed around it. The tram prevented all of the above from happening of course and there is no trace or even a plaque at the tram stop giving details of a former great landmark of Sheffield. Such a shame that the hole in the road has gone for good.

Its concept was brilliant, keep the traffic flowing, above, and let the pedestrians walk, sheletered from the weather, and in safety, in these subterranean walkways. In my childhood, it looked great, brightly lit, clean... the window displays from shops like C&A, the Co-Op, and Walsh's, (later Rachams/ house of fraser, now TJ Hughes) were enticing. bang and olufsen had a shop with tellys and hi-fis, Bradshaws greengrocer had a shop or two under there, the YEB (yorkshire electricity board) had a shop entrance on the southern side, with gleaming displays of electric fires, washing machines and cookers.

PT

Brilliant thread... Helping my 7 year old daughter with her homework about the history of Sheffield, and we chose the Hole In the Road.

I didn't come here myself until I came to uni in 1997, and the HITR has always seemed something of mythical place when I talk to Sheffield natives :)

Plain Talker, would you mind terribly if we quoted you in her homework, please? :)

Edited by Miss

i used to walk through the HITR every morning getting to work from bridge street down to viners ltd, it used to be a nice break from the rain. got my morning paper from the stall . not a pretty site when venturig through late at night on our way to the penthouse nightclub for more rock music and beer !!!

Anyone know what happened to the fish who were in the hole in the road

Anyone know what happened to the fish who were in the hole in the road

There's a clue in Post 103.