Hole In The Road Thread with Pics

My Dad has found another superb picture!

HITR.jpg

Im taking this is your footage?, bet it was one of them big bulky cameras back in them days. Great footage and too see how things changed:)

yes your right, it was a big bulky camera.

Im taking this is your footage?, bet it was one of them big bulky cameras back in them days. Great footage and too see how things changed:)

yes good find! and look at my dad finding out how to use SF! :hihi: Hi Dad!

there was also a fag kiosk that used to sell the cheapest fags in sheffield but my memories of it are mostly THE FISH TANK i used to get on me mums nerves cos a never wanted to move when i got there even though we used to keep tropical fish at home at the time but i used to be fascinated with this one fish the big ghurahmis lol

when i was a kid my mum used to take me to the hole in the road they used to be a large fishtank, add shops and sometimes the someone selling copy t-shirts at the time nike,addias,ect, all ways busy

A short clip here of the hole in the road from 1973..

Do you mean the hole in the road !!!!!! it even had fish and hobos living in it:suspect:
I remember this ! I used to walk through it loads of times and fell up the escalators plenty of times.

I find it very hard to look back on this landmark with any affection at all. I remember it only as a urine-stinking, tramp and lowlife infested rathole with occasionally-working escalators and a fish.

Are my expectations too high?:suspect:

I great idea to what it was like before, as normal ruined by stinking humanity

i used to work in the hole in the road at gt news and scummys take away ..great times .

Um.. well i don't know. Did this hole have shops it in? It might all just be that I have been lied to, but apparently it was just sort of a big hole with shops in... dunno how people didn't fall into it etc.? Any pics?

Many buildings in the vicinity of the Market Place were damaged or destroyed on the night of 12 December 1940 when German aircraft bombed Sheffield. The bomb sites were cleared but most remained empty for many years. In 1968 many old streets were cleared to make way for the new Arundel Gate, a dual carriageway road that terminated at a large roundabout built on the former market place. Underneath the roundabout a network of underpasses and shops was built (with a central area open to the sky), this formed a complex that was officially designated Castle Square but became affectionately known locally as "Hole in t' Road" or Hole in the Road). Although considered by many to be a major city landmark, like many constructions of its time, it did not age well and was very dilapidated by the early 1990s. It lasted from 1967 until 1994, allegedly being filled in with the rubble from the recently demolished Hyde Park Flats.

4 roads met at the " Hole in the Road" and there was 8 ways down consisting of steps, slopes and even esculators on the High st there was shops underneath even a large fishtank that some say the fish was pirahnas but i cant confirm that . It was a meeting place for almost everyone .

When we got ****** we would go and watch the fish for ages on the way home, surprised the tank never got smashed.